Yeast Characteristics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintdanmic

Reaction score
I've done a search for this and found lots of "did I kill my yeast" and "should I have used liquid yeast" topics. I haven't found what I'm looking for yet. In those threads, I've read some people saying that the yeast doesn't really affect the flavor. Then others say that it does. Additionally, recipes require that we use certain kinds of yeasts in each. So I'm inclined to believe that the yeast determines a decent amount of the flavour.

My question for you more experienced homebrewers is:

Does anyone have or know of a list of notes detailing what types of characteristics/flavours can be expected from individual kinds of yeast assuming that the rest of the ingredients are generally similar?

Something like:
X = nutty flavour, yet dry. Must be 50-55F, else off-flavours
Y = maintains a sweet flavour. Must be 65ish, else esters.

Outstanding! Thanks a bunch. Silly me, didn't even think to check the manufacturer's website. :drunk:

P.S. I love this site.

Depends on the yeast - the above links will help greatly.

Yeasts that are described as "clean" like wyeast 1056 don't impart much flavour and can be a desirable characteristic in certain beers where the malt and or hop flavour should dominate. In others like german wheats or english bitters the flavour imparted by the yeast is a key flavour for the style and your choice of yeast will dictate that.

Back