What to do with two extra sanke kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A buddy at work just offered me two free sanke kegs as long as I give him free beer that I brew. I am building a three keggle system right now and have already converted three kegs into a htl mt and bk..... What can I do with two more kegs? Are they ideal for converting to fermenters? Or are there any other good ideas out there?

If I didn't live 18 hours away from you I would come take them off your hands! haha... I am in the process of gathering material for my brewery... single tier!

Well, you could convert to fermenters... or build a heck of a Keezer and use them in that to store your beer.

Send them to 780 Foxwood Dr Oceanside Ca 92057 immediatly, I will assure they are disposed of properly

I've kicking the idea of a conical around. Anyone seen this done with a snake?

I have the same "problem". I have two extra as well and not sure what to do. I'm leaning towards converting them into fermenters but just not sure how fancy I want to get.

You guys are lucky! It took me months of painstaking searches just to find one! I just found it yesterday, as a matter of fact.

You guys are lucky! It took me months of painstaking searches just to find one! I just found it yesterday, as a matter of fact.
Craigslist is your friend... there are all kinds of Kegs listed on the DFW CL. One guy has 3 listed for 75 bucks! It is just too far for me to drive to go get them...

Craigslist is your friend... there are all kinds of Kegs listed on the DFW CL. One guy has 3 listed for 75 bucks! It is just too far for me to drive to go get them...

You can't find crap in El Paso for homebrewing on CL. If you do it's usually over priced. I found a sanke keg once, and the guy wanted $100 for it.. Too much! The good thing is, as of yesterday when I bought mine the place that sold it to me said they'd sell me more whenever I want them. So, finally I have a source for them! At $30 ea I'll be getting a couple more soon!

Use them as fermentors. No need to try to make them into conical. An orange carboy cap and a SS raking cane is all that's required.

jtsims21 said:

Ok I think this makes the most sense. I will probably weld together some sort of stand for it so that I can keep it off the ground. Outside of putting it in refrigerator of some kind, is anyone familiar with a temperature control system for a snake fermenter? Also would installing weldless temp gauges hinder the integrity of the fermenter too much?

Ok I think this makes the most sense. I will probably weld together some sort of stand for it so that I can keep it off the ground. Outside of putting it in refrigerator of some kind, is anyone familiar with a temperature control system for a snake fermenter? Also would installing weldless temp gauges hinder the integrity of the fermenter too much?

I dont like any kind of holes that could leak in my fermenters... maybe i am just paranoid, but a small drip on a brew day means a loss of a couple ounces but a small drip on a fermenter can empty it in a few weeks.

You could always use a long stem theromometer or a remote sensor for an electronic going through the top.

Hello friends,

To update I landed not two but three sanke kegs, all in excellent condition. I've decided to use at least one as a fermenter and possibly one as a serving vessel. What about the third one? Also I have seen one sanke conversion product that looks viable, it does not require any cutting....... My concern is cleaning of the fermenter with such a small opening on top and not being able to see inside.....

So to recap my questions. Three kegs what to use them for. (already have three others already converted to hlt mt bk). And if I use one or more as a fermenter what's the best conversion option?

I'm in the same boat as Stauffbier, I've been looking for another (would be #2 for me) sanke but if I had extra(s) I'd turn at least one of them into a fermenter. I've called around, searched CL, even looked to pay for shipping on Ebay, I just can't find another one anywhere. a Conical would be cool, I've heard of people turning them upside down and cutting a whole in the (top, what would be a the actual bottom). As a fermenter it would be as easy as taking the shaft out and sticking a bung the size of the opening or sealing the opening (keeping the shaft and ball valve in) and cutting a whole the size of a carboy bung and calling it a day.

hmmmbeer said:
I'm in the same boat as Stauffbier, I've been looking for another (would be #2 for me) sanke but if I had extra(s) I'd turn at least one of them into a fermenter. I've called around, searched CL, even looked to pay for shipping on Ebay, I just can't find another one anywhere. a Conical would be cool, I've heard of people turning them upside down and cutting a whole in the (top, what would be a the actual bottom). As a fermenter it would be as easy as taking the shaft out and sticking a bung the size of the opening or sealing the opening (keeping the shaft and ball valve in) and cutting a whole the size of a carboy bung and calling it a day.

I scoured Craigslist for months trying to find kegs and had to overpay for them ($50). Then I just happened to have a conversation with a guy who sits next to me at work for the past year and he basically just said "I hav a few kegs just sitting around, I'll trade them all to you for free beer" . I really lucked out.

I've seen a few conical sanke conversions out there but they seem to require welding..... I only have a flux co welder and I don't think that is compatible.....

So, after thinking I scored at least one good keg it was brought to my attention last night that the one I have is aluminum. Dang! Back to having "0" kegs, because I don't want to make a MLT out of aluminum. I guess I could still make a keggle out of it, but I'm still bummed that it's not SS..

OK, EDITING this post.. I suspected that the guy who told me my keg was aluminum might have been wrong. I found an ancient thread about determining if it was AL or SS by using a strong magnet to see if it was SS. The verdict.... the magnet stuck! I'm back in the game!

Hey guys,
Or are there any other good ideas out there?
Source: perfectmancave.com

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

2269819986_e8e5da2b0d_o.jpg

Source: perfectmancave.com

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Those are the most beautiful urinals I have ever seen! Did you make them? If so, how did you bend the edges on the top to make the "bullnosed" edge?

Oh, you're in El Paso! I think a mutual friend of ours was telling me about you last night.. His name is Albert.

I realize this post is almost a year old but, does your friend or do you have any other kegs sitting around that you are not using that you would part with?

Like you I have a hard time paying good money for an empty keg with no beer inside. Also, trying to go the ethical route.

I am in Tampa. Let me know.

Thanks.

I still have one I was planning to use as a fermenter. Would consider parting with it If it led to a temp controlled fermentation chamber. I would be up for a trade of some kind. Thoughts?

Back