Bottling and amount of sugar added to wort???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydrasports

Reaction score
I bought a package of corn surgar (I believe) for bottling a 5 gallon batch. Only thing is I think I am more like around 4 or 4.5 gallons of wort in my bucket. Will it be ok if I add the whole bag of sugar (after prepping the water to add it to) to the wort if I am short a gallon? Or will it be over carbonated?

If it was a gallon short it would be a bit over carbed. But not bottle bomb or anything too drastic. But if you have a scale (which you should) then if it's a 5 oz packet then it would be 1 oz/gallon of beer, and you could just hold back that amount at bottling time.

I bought a package of corn surgar (I believe) for bottling a 5 gallon batch. Only thing is I think I am more like around 4 or 4.5 gallons of wort in my bucket. Will it be ok if I add the whole bag of sugar (after prepping the water to add it to) to the wort if I am short a gallon? Or will it be over carbonated?

it may be little bit much... do you have a scale? you want like 0.8oz per gallon for 2.4 vols of Co2 ... if not just take some out... eyeball it!

Is there a conversion say 1 TBS = .5 oz or something like that for corn sugar? I do not have a scale as I pretty much always just eyeball my hops anyway. Just don't want to take too much out so that it turns into a flat beer. I pretty much have my beer in the keg a little over carbed but don't want it when you open a bottle you lose 1/2 the bottle due to being over carbed.

Back