Questions on windscreens for single-tier stand.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
Hi all. After a long hiatus on finishing my stand. I am ready to finish the puppy. All I have left to do is put on some windscreens. Stand is a single-tier, 3 burner stand using 1.5" square tube mild steel.

I have one of the these burners:

40282.jpg

and two of these:

30295.jpg

I plan to cut up an old cornie into cylindrical pieces to use as windscreens. They are 8.5" in diameter. The burners are mounted 4" below the top of the stand.

How would you mount the screens relative to the top of the stand? How much space from the top do I want? I was thinking of having the top of the screen being flush with the bottom of the tubing. So with the square steel being 1.5", the screen would sit 1.5" below the top of the stand. Make sense? Any better suggestions, should I go higher?

As far as the height of the screen, I am not sure what would be best. How far below the top of the burner would I want the screen to be. I know I want to protect from wind, but I also want to allow enough air to get under the burner for the proper propane/air mixture. If the screen was 4" in height, and I used my idea from above, then the screen would go about 1.5" below the top of the burners. Would this be sufficient?

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Or if you could let me know what you all did with your rigs. Thank you.

Gregg

Latest posts

Back