Need a recipe opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuf

Reaction score
In response to SWMBO's never ending battle cry, "ITS TOO DARK AND HEAVY!" I formulated the following light lager recipe. I am new to lagering, so I tried to keep it simple. My gut tells me this concoction should come out looking and tasting like a 50/50 mix of Hamms light and water. That might be light enough for her. As usual, I value and appreciate your opinions and insight.

2# Munton and Fison extra light DME
3# Laaglander extra light DME
1/2# Carapils
1oz crystal pellet hops bittering
1oz crystal pellet hops aroma
1tsp irish moss
Wyeast 2007 pilsen lager

Thanks,
Jpuf:ban:

Isn't Laaglander one of the extracts that seems to have the most unfermentables, i.e. it'll have a decent amount of residual body?

I'm assuming you've done some research on lagering so I'll address your recipe.

It looks fine, but I have to ask, how much water do you boil?

My process is to heat up 1 - 1.5 gals of water. This is already accomplished by your steeping the grains. Then add only 1 lb of the malt and dissolve. At boil add your bittering hops and start the clock for 45 mins. After 45 mins remove the pot from the heat and add and dissolve the rest of your DME 1 POUND AT A TIME and stir so it doesn't clump up badly. When done, add the IM and remaining hops and boil for 15 mins.

I use PUR filtered tap water from 1 gal jugs that I put in my freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing to cool my wort. I usually top off to 5.25 gals.

Adding the majority of the malt at the end keeps the carmelization and coloring to a minimum.

If you do full boils then you can still add the malt at the end.:D

EDIT: Is the pic light enough for you? Late extract addition...:D

P9280474-000.jpg

I boil about 3 gallons, topping off with boiled and chilled. Thanks for the tip on reducing carmalization, I hadn't considered that.

Hey-

I ran it through ProMash, and I get basically that same color as the pic above. OG projected to be 1.040, and about 18 IBU's.

How's that work for you?

FWIW - Women really seem like hefe's... with a slice of lemon.

No concrete evidence, just my observation @ Yazoos when I was in Nashville...

Back