AHS Dead Guy Clone Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
Just cracked open my first bottle of Dead Guy Ale clone and I thought I'd let everyone know, best brew I've made to date. Thought you guys might like to know since there were a lot of questions on this clone when the Pacman yeast was first released.

I also just tried my Dead Guy clone, but I found the recipe on the internet, not from AHS. This is the recipe I used: (with Pacman yeast)

Dead Guy Ale (Clone)

13oz Belgiun Cara-Munich
13oz German Munich
7oz US Crystal 40 deg L

4lbs Alexanders Pale LME
4LBS LDME
(I substituted all XLDME)
1 oz Perle@ 7.5 AA for 60 min

1/4 oz Perle
1/4 oz Czech Saaaz for 15 min
1 tsp Irish Moss

Probably one of the best beers I've made (except for maybe my Left Hand Brewery Sawtooth Ale clone). My husband has been cracking them often, and it's only been bottled a week. I hope there is some left to actually age a bit. I think at its peak it's going to be awesome.

What was the recipe you used? Similar? I'd love to compare!
Lorena

Sorry it's taken me a while to respond, new job has me swamped...

Ol' Grog - IBU was around 39

lorenae - Recipe was
3/4 lb Caramunich
1/2 lb Crystal 20L
3/4 lb Munich

Steeped in 1.5 gal for 30 minutes at 155deg

9 1/2 lbs. Pale extract (AHS product)

1 1/2 oz. Perle 7.7%AA at start of boil
1/2 oz. Saaz 3.7%AA at 45 min. mark

Used the Rogue Pacman yeast from Wyeast.

I too am having a helluva time trying to keep some around, it's just so damn good!

Our recipes are extremely similar- and I've got to tell you that it's my husband's all time favorite beer. I like it a lot, too, but I'm not sure it's my "all time favorite". I don't think there is a whole lot left- and it's just now reaching its peak. I think this one will be in our "house beer" rotation. It's malty, slightly bitter, and smooth with a distinct aftertaste. My husband says it has a "chewy mouthfeel with a distinct aftertaste, perhaps a bit on the sweet side". (I make them, he's the beer critic.)

Question, though- when the "pacman" yeast isn't available, what would be an appropriate substitute? I'm normally a dry yeast fan (it's so clean fermenting) but I think the pacman yeast adds a significant depth to this brew.

Lorena

The "Floor Kill Ale" recipe in my signature is my AG version of Dead Guy. It's my own recipe using the bit of info on Rogue's website about their recipe. I brewed it last weekend, and so far it's shaping up to be a tasty brew!

I may try it with a very flocculant London ale yeast to see how it measures up to PacMan.

I know AHS usually ships their version clone with Wyeast American Ale II because that's what they're recipe slip states. I've ordered a few extra packets of pacman since it's limited qty. and plan on getting at least 2 (maybe 3) brews out each one, then I'll be experimenting starting with the Wyeast to see what works best.

If I can make it consistently, this will definately be my house brew.

I'm tempted to try a Dead Guy Clone, as it is by far one of my favorite brews. However, I don't want to be let down in my attempt. Thing is, the first thing I noticed, and what kept me hooked on it, was this really unique aftertaste of Dead Guy. Is that attributed to the hops (and if so, which ones), or are the flavors coming from the pacman yeast? If the flavors are NOT from the yeast, what's the big deal to actually use Pacman yeast over something else?

Pacman is a highly flocculate, very attenuation yeast (>80%). It is also a clean fermenting yeast. An ale is left with just the largest and most complex malt sugars. This gives a unique flavor profile.

Back