Getting Ready to Bottle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuelhof

Reaction score
Ok, I have let this sit for about 3.5 weeks now and I think I am in the clear (so far)! I pulled my first sample today to test the gravity, and its sitting at 1.020 at 69 degrees. This is a little higher than expected according to the directions that came with the kit (1.016). My starting gravity was 1.060 at 70 degrees, which was slightly higher than the expected OG of 1.058. I am planning to recheck the reading on Friday, and if it is still at 1.020, then I will bottle this weekend.

I'm still unsure on how to adjust the gravity reading based on temperature, so if anyone has a tip on that, I'm all ears!

It confuses me most of the time as well. So I just wait until I get it to 60 degrees and take the reading then.

Also, I am using recycled bottles from micro brews, and I want to make sure this cleaning/sanitizing process is complete...

1)soaking bottles in oxyclean to remove labels and clean inside bottles
2)peel labels, and rinse the bottle thoroughly
3)soak bottles in starsan, then let them drip dry upside down
4)put plastic wrap over lip of bottle to store until this weekend when I bottle

Does that plan seem thorough enough?

Also, I am using recycled bottles from micro brews, and I want to make sure this cleaning/sanitizing process is complete...

I clean as you stated but usually rinse with starsan with the vinator bottle rinser, just before bottling and place them on a bottle tree. Here is the set up that I use.:

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure how long they will stay sanitized after they are dry. If I was bottling, I'd clean the bottles whenever I had time. Then on bottling day, rinse them off if they're dusty, and then squirt some star-san inside and place on bottling tree. Once all the bottles are sanitized, start filling. They don't need to dry, and in fact star-san is a wet-contact sanitizer. That means it's sanitizing as long as it's wet.

It takes me about 20 minutes to sanitize 55 bottles, so it's not too inconvenient. I usually sanitize the bottles while the priming sugar solution is cooling.

Ok, thanks Yooper! I am clenaing them in batches over the next day or two, and letting them dry upside down, and storing them upside down. Then on Saturday (bottling day), I will take them out, rinse them with warm water, and then rinse them with star-san and fill! Can't wait!

Latest posts

Back