biab sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think over-sparging occurs when you sparge once, take the runnings, sparge again, take the runnings, and sparge again trying to get the last of the sugars out. Each time you drain the mash tun you raise the pH. I don't believe that the time has much to do with it. I also don't believe you accomplish very much with a 10 minute dunk sparge. It doesn't take sugar very long to dissolve into hot water. Agitation would be more beneficial. Try it with a cup of tea. Pour your sugar into your tea and let it sit for ten minutes. Try another cup where you pour the sugar in and stir for 30 seconds.

Nope, that would accomplish nothing. He dumps the sparge water (presumably into his boil kettle) then puts new water in the cooler with the grain.

Why dumping first in the boil kettle? Why dont just put the bag in a colander over the mashtun (or kettle) and add new water on the grain and then have to transfer only one time in the boil kettle?

That's basically what I do. Put a collander on top of the BK/MT with the bag of grains in it. My collander is a polished SS one from bed,bath,& way beyond for some nine bucks. Get the handles of the collander lined up with the handles of the BK/MT. Then take two 4-6" pieces of 2X4 to place between the handles to jack up the collander enough to sparge up to 3.5 Gallons in a 5 gallon kettle.
This is helpfull when yo mash some 4-6 pounds of grains in 2 gallons of water & then sparge with 1.5-1.75 gallons,giving 3.5-3.75 gallons of fresh wort that comes up into the bottom of the collander otherwise. So those two pieces of scrap lumber will save draining time later. After sparge/drain,I place the full collander over a smaller kettle to drain some more. I'll add that to the kettle as I go. When they're well drained,heat oven to 200F & spread grains on sheet pans no more than 1/2" thick to slowly dry over a couple hours. When light & obviously dried,cool them off & place in 1 gallon size sip lock freezer bags (tougher plastic),& toss in the pantry. I then use a Mr Coffee burr grinder on the espresaso setting to make a medium flour out of some of them. Mix this with regular flour for baking with a lil extra liquid. And more baking powder if used. Here's a link to the spent grain chef page of Brooklyn brewery; http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/category/spentgrainchef/

beauvafr said:
Why dumping first in the boil kettle? Why dont just put the bag in a colander over the mashtun (or kettle) and add new water on the grain and then have to transfer only one time in the boil kettle?

That's just how I interpreted his four year old post. I'm not saying I would do it the same way. I actually haven't started BIABing yet. Just bought my voile curtain yesterday, so I can't say for sure yet what my method will be. I agree though that it seems like an extra unnecessary step.

Just my humble contribution to this discussion.
I lay the bag over the kettle and rinse it with some of my sparge water using a glass measuring cup.
Of all the brewing techniques I tried, this gives the best beers, so go for it.

Back