Dry Hop a Pale Ale with Saaz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggor

Reaction score
Anybody have experience dry hopping with Saaz hops? I bought a bunch of Saaz and have a pale Ale that I want to dry hop. Would Saaz be too mild to dry hop a light pale ale. I used only 2 row, 20L Caravienne, Munich and carafoam. Mashed at 150 and added Centenial throughout the boil FWH, 60, 30, 20, 15 and 10 minutes.

I've used Saaz for aroma hops in IPA and it's great. Sometimes just using what you have on hand turns into some really great beer that you never would have considered. I say give it a try.

Saaz is an AWESOME Secret Weapon for Dry Hopping.

There is a spicy aspect that makes people wonder 'WTF is that flavor?'

My advice is go for it. I've done it and will do so again when I have some spare Saaz. My current supply is slated for some Dunkelweizen and aging for a lambic :cross:

Be careful with it though, it can be a little TOO wtf. I dry hopped my belgian pale ale with saaz pellets for about 10 days, and the spicy aspect was a bit over the top for about the first 6 weeks in the bottle. It mellowed after that and it's delicious now.

In my experience, they are overwhelmingly grassy for dry hops. So be careful about how much you use and contact times. I love 'em for aroma, but for dry hops, they're not for me.

BTW, looked at my notes. I dry hopped with 1/2 oz each of Hallertauer Mittelfrueh and Saaz, whole hops for 7 days and that beer was too grassy for me. It was at ambient temp, around 68. So, to clarify, I don't know if it was the Saaz or the HM that did it.

I thought I'd post my results of dry hopping with Saaz I made 10 gallons this was an American Pale Ale with all the boil hops Centennial. I split the the finished beer into two 5 gallon cornies to serve on draft. I dry hop right in my serving kegs. I used an oz of Saaz in one and 1 oz of cent in the other. after 3 days of contact I preferred the saaz it had a much smoother dry hop flavor slightly spicy and virtually no grassiness. To me the Centennial dry hop was much harsher I thought it actually had a cabbage taste to it. Now after 10 days the cabbage pretty much dissapeared and this one has taken on a more classic IPA flavor. I was amazed at how different a 1 oz dry hop addition had on the taste of these two brews that came from the same brew session. I entered the Saaz dry hopped beer in 2 separate competition and I am waiting for the results I will post when they come in. I am a little worried I will be docked because this Saaz dry hopped beer doesn't contain the classic grapefruit flavor that you get from a cascade or to lesser extent Centennial dry hopping, I purposely entered it into the category 10-A American Pale Ale rather than the 14-B American IPA. I still prefer the Saaz hopped version as I felt it was a bit more balanced being the dry hops don't dominate the palate though a real hop head may prefer the centennial dry hopped version.

I was going to ask if anyone had ever dry hopped with hallertau (and only hallertau) before. I have some haller and saaz sitting around but I've tasted a couple of saaz dry hopped beer and I can't say it was overwhelmingly good. Curious if hallertau might be a better choice as to not cause an assault on the drinker's senses.

I thought I'd post my results of dry hopping with Saaz I made 10 gallons this was an American Pale Ale with all the boil hops Centennial. I split the the finished beer into two 5 gallon cornies to serve on draft. I dry hop right in my serving kegs. I used an oz of Saaz in one and 1 oz of cent in the other. after 3 days of contact I preferred the saaz it had a much smoother dry hop flavor slightly spicy and virtually no grassiness. To me the Centennial dry hop was much harsher I thought it actually had a cabbage taste to it. Now after 10 days the cabbage pretty much dissapeared and this one has taken on a more classic IPA flavor. I was amazed at how different a 1 oz dry hop addition had on the taste of these two brews that came from the same brew session. I entered the Saaz dry hopped beer in 2 separate competition and I am waiting for the results I will post when they come in. I am a little worried I will be docked because this Saaz dry hopped beer doesn't contain the classic grapefruit flavor that you get from a cascade or to lesser extent Centennial dry hopping, I purposely entered it into the category 10-A American Pale Ale rather than the 14-B American IPA. I still prefer the Saaz hopped version as I felt it was a bit more balanced being the dry hops don't dominate the palate though a real hop head may prefer the centennial dry hopped version.

Any further information on these beers?

Anybody else get grassy notes from dry hopping with Saaz? I haven't used them in more than ten years and am considering trying them for dry hops again.

Back