Car troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Deathweed

Reaction score
My 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme is having the following issues:
-Cannot give it power in forward or reverse
-will coast if you don't give it gas, and pick up speed
-once it is coasting fast enough to shift to second, it drives just fine until you come to a stop and have to start in 1st again

I have replaced the transmission filter and fluid about a year ago, and this car has all new plugs, wires, coils, alternator, ignition module, throttle position sensor, and timing chain. I have done a lot of work on this car, and would like to keep it, but if this is going to cost more than $300-400 to fix, I may as well scrap this one and apply everything toward a newer vehicle even though I have dumped ~$500 into repairs in the last year already.

If anyone has any good ideas on fixing this myself, I have a week to learn/work on this, or try and find someone that will give me a couple hundred for it...

is it an electronic transmission....I had one lose its shift patterns and it did some really f'd up stuff. Personally I'd take it to a transmission shop and see what they say it shouldn't cost anything for them to road test it.

Well, I am going to have to pay to get it towed to a shop, so when I am there I may as well get it fixed. A road test is free at the shop I was talking to, but most likley they said they would have to hook it up to diagnostics to figgure out whats wrong which is $55. Bottom line, just taking it to the shop and getting diagnostics is going to be ~$150 out of my pocket.

If there is a test/repair I can do myself, I am more than willing to learn, so I know what range of problems I fall into. Like I said before, I really don't want to shell out any money unless I know it is going to be fixed, because I would rather scrap it and use that money toward another vehicle. However, if it is only going to be a couple hundred, or a fix I can do myself (even better) I would love the project/learning experience.

As far as a road test, it was driving just fine previously, and once it shifts out of 1st acts just fine again. I was wondering if it is a solenoid problem, but have found little information on testing other than you can...

I've always been a fan of the midnight tow with a rope :)

They are going to charge you to hook up the computer? Call around I can get it done here for free.

Last time I mentioned that to SWMBO, she gave me the "you better be kidding or you will never sleep in a bed again, let alone with me" look. :D

Last time I mentioned that to SWMBO, she gave me the "you better be kidding or you will never sleep in a bed again, let alone with me" look. :D

I think a decent computer should cost you between $65-$100. Plus, autozone has one that I believe you can rent which would be super cheap. If you take it to them, they'll hook it up and let you know what the code is. Then, it's just a matter of figuring out what the problem it.

FWIW, it sounds to me like your transmission is F'd.

Well, just sold it to someone that is willing to get it fixed for their own use, I get a little less than I wanted for it, but with this POS I'm glad to get anything :D

it helps when you already have someone who has come up to you with a "if you change your mind I want it" :D

Sorry to hear you sold it. It was probably just the shift module on the back of the tras-axle. $50-60 part, and once you have to aftermarket one, you can adjust your shifts(better accel/lower OD rpm) with the turn of a screw.

It goes without saying that your Transmission Fluid is topped off, right? Right?

of course, I mean I am not a COMPLETE idiot under the hood :D I just know jack-diddly about automatic transmissions... Other than keep them full and change the filter now and again...

Back