Mashtun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck33

Reaction score
I'd like to make a simple cooler mash tun. My question is do I have to use a brand-new cooler or can I use one of the many coolers I have around the house? The one I Would like to use is not horribly dirty on the inside but it also is not completely clean. If I clean it very good can it be used?

I have yet to do my 1st all grain batch, but i would say it's fine. just clean it well and use away. All the wort gets boiled after it leaves the cooler anyway.

I used a cooler with a former life, soaked it in PBW for a few days (more i couldn't get back to it for a few days, than needed that long) rinsed soaked in bleach for a few more days. Rinsed it good and its been making beer ever sense.

I'd like to make a simple cooler mash tun. My question is do I have to use a brand-new cooler or can I use one of the many coolers I have around the house? The one I Would like to use is not horribly dirty on the inside but it also is not completely clean. If I clean it very good can it be used?

If you are going to add a valve to it, I would recommend making sure it has a solid false bulk head. many coolers have foam between the inside and outside of the drain which makes getting a good seal difficult. Not impossible but difficult. Its a mistake I made with my first attempt making one.

Latest posts

Back