6 Gallon PET carboy by the Vintage Shop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PantherCity

Reaction score
I just received my 23L (6 gallon) PET carboy made by the Vintage shop and I'm really impressed. I ordered it from Brewmaster's warehouse and remember it being maybe a buck or two cheaper than a 6 gallon better bottle. First off it has no horizontal ribs for sediment to settle, which is not that big of a deal. I always just gave by better bottles a bit of a spank and it would fall down. The REAL advantage I think is the thicker bottom. it is really solid and flatter that the better bottle. I hate the way the bottom goes in and out with a full better bottle, sucking vodka in my brew when I move it to cold crash or rack. I have not used it yet but I would like to this weekend if my water hose thaws out.
the Vintage shop website has some more info: LINK

Has anybody been using these? I just cracked the last of my glass carboys and might get another one of these. They appear to have all the advantages of the better bottle ( light weight, safety) and a glass carboy ( rigid, no ribs/smooth sides, very clear)

they also make 3 and 5 gallon versions.
Thanks

also an arrowhead water bottle cap fits PERFECT and is great for blow off tubes ;)

165504_196280710387640_100000171382742_878484_222733_n.jpg

-=Jason=-

Cool, I plan on using my #10 stoppers and orange carboy caps from the BBs.
So, what do do you think? compared to BB? do the thicker bottoms prevent suck-back?

P.S. I saw your post about moving to Tx, Welcome. I live in Ft. Worth and I'm not crazy about The Winemaker Shop AKA Fort Worth Home Brew. I order online from either Austin HB or lately Brewmaster's Warehouse. I really like the Brew builder feature on their website, flat rate shipping (even when ordering ingredients for two 12 gallon all grain batches and the new PET carboy in one order,) and I always use promo code "bnarmy" for 10% off.

well I moved the bottle out of the fridge last night to take my gravity reading and didn't feel the bottom drop out or anything it felt solid.

-=jason=-

I picked up one of these a few months ago from my LHBS. I love it and always pick it over my Better Bottle if it's free. Nice sturdy straight sides and the walls seam thicker than the BB.

I use the 5 gallon versions of these and I have noticed a thicker bottom. I generally do not get suck back if lifted from the bottom. If you lift from the neck (which I have) it will suck back quite a bit of whatever you have in your airlock.

I get the 5 gallon sizes for 24.99 from the LHBS. They want 29.99 for the 6 gallon sizes.

I wanted to update this as I have now run a few batches through them. They are awesome, and I always grab them instead of the Better bottles. The bottom is much thicker so the suck-back issue is much less apparent than the Better bottles while lifting and carrying them. Another thing which I like, despite it being a small thing, is the lack of horizontal ridges. This is a good thing not only because the yeast settle on them in the BB, but I am able to position the temp probe more easily. The space between the ridges on the better bottle is not large enough to tape the Ranco digital probe vertically.
Happy Brewing!

Thanks for sharing. I am needing a new carboy and was going to get a BB. I think I will go with one of these instead.

Back