My Wyeast is dead!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilb

Reaction score
Did a wonderful brew of IPA yesterday. Got Wyeast 1318 for it, and after some trouble smacked it so the inner packet broke.

It puffed up slightly, but no where near what it should've. I didn't have any other yeast so I figured maybe we're looking at a slow starter and pitched it anyway (the inner packet was broken).

24+ hours now and the only sign of fermentation is some condensation. No krausen, no scum ring, no air lock activity, nothing.

Needless to say I'm pretty pissed off that liquid yeast has let me down like this. Never had any problems with the Coopers yeast I've used before. Was thinking this "upgrade" in yeast would be even better.

Hopefully it will kick in....but I'm not optimistic. The IPA smelt and looked so good too. I feel like crying.

ps. I know.....make a starter.

Good thing I read the post script. That being said, you shouldn't be pissed at the Yeast for letting you down. Since you knew you needed to make a starter, you let yourself down. Liquid Yeast is an "upgrade", you just have to follow directions. :)

If it began to swell, it's alive. You underpitched, and it'll take a couple days to get going.

That being said, you might get some funky esters, give it a little extra time in primary to let the yeast reabsorb it.

Liquid Yeast is an "upgrade", you just have to follow directions. :)

Well, technically he did follow directions. I wish they'd stop advertising liquid yeast as "directly pitch-able," as you really do need a starter to guarantee good results. Almost every time I'm at my LHBS, I see a newbie getting setup with a hardware kit and ingredients, and they always push the smack-packs...with no mention of making a starter. I always feel like telling them "Hey, is this your first batch? Try a packet of Nottingham!"

If it still hasn't started after a couple of days, I'd suggest sprinkling in a packet of Safale S-04, that ought to give results similar to the Wyeast strain you used. It will take off right quick, I promise you that. Try to always keep a few packets of dry yeast around, just for such occasions. I keep Nottingham, US-05 and S-04 in my fridge at all times.

I beg to differ good Sir. On the front of the Wyeast Propagater (Smack Pack), it says, "Pure Yeast for propagation before brewing" and, "Designed for propagating to larger volumes". Then on the back, it describes in detail how to make a starter.

I beg to differ good Sir. On the front of the Wyeast Propagater (Smack Pack), it says, "Pure Yeast for propagation before brewing" and, "Designed for propagating to larger volumes". Then on the back, it describes in detail how to make a starter.

That's just the propagator smack pack. The more commonly sold activator pack is advertised as "designed to inoculate five gallons of wort (up to 1.060 SG) providing the pitching rate recommended by professional brewers." But in actual practice, it's often not up to the job, and should always be used with a starter. The same holds true with the White Labs vials, which they claim are "designed to be used directly in 5 gallons."

Since the OP pitched directly, I assumed he was using an activator pack. Maybe he can clarify.

Yeah, it was the activator pack. My OG was 1.040 and I'm only brewing a 20L batch.

The package did swell, but very slightly. Don't know how much of that was any progress or whether that was the package coming up to room temperature.

First time using liquid yeast, and I am still new to this so I try to introduce one new thing each time. I'm just gutted because this is the best smelling brew I've done so far and I was really optimistic for an excellent brew.

Hopefully it will start.....hopefully.

The package did swell, but very slightly. Don't know how much of that was any progress or whether that was the package coming up to room temperature.

First time using liquid yeast, and I am still new to this so I try to introduce one new thing each time. I'm just gutted because this is the best smelling brew I've done so far and I was really optimistic for an excellent brew.

Hopefully it will start.....hopefully.

You'll know when they activate correctly...it will swell so much that you're sure it's going to explode!

Your beer will be alright. Just be ready with that dry yeast in the event that your other yeast fails to get going. All will be well!

If there wasn't active yeast in the package then it wouldn't have expanded at all. What's your hydrometer reading at? While fermentation usually produces krausen, it's not an absolute.

Will take a reading tomorrow evening if still no signs.

Lesson from this brew (and there always is one I find) is to keep dry yeast around - I have none!

Will take a reading tomorrow evening if still no signs.

Lesson from this brew (and there always is one I find) is to keep dry yeast around - I have none!

...and make a starter. :D

I also squish the package a bunch to get the yeast & food mixed good.

KISS. make sure your lid is on tight and wait a couple days.

I have seldom used liquid yeast due to the fact that the volume of yeast is less than a single packet of dry(according to all the articles on yeast starters and cultivation I have read). plus its advised not to make starter with dry. so its easier and its cheaper (even if you pitch 2 which I normally do)and I always have activity within 4 hours. although I have never had a blow out, I have had fermentation push most of the liquid out of the airlock a few times, but in all have had great luck with various dry yeasts.

You should also check the mfg date on the wyeast pack.

For every month of age, add a day to dwell time before pitching.

Example; Package says APR08 - Its June, so smack three days prior to when you need to pitch.

So says Wyeast....

You should also check the mfg date on the wyeast pack.

For every month of age, add a day to dwell time before pitching.

Example; Package says APR08 - Its June, so smack three days prior to when you need to pitch.

So says Wyeast....

My guess is if you do this they think you can get by with not making a starter....

I'm starting to see the value of dry yeast as well for ales (which are all I currently make). They're so cheap, and keep so well, every brewer should have some on hand.

IF YOU READ THIS, THE NEXT TIME YOU'RE AT THE LHBS OR ORDERING PICK UP A COUPLE OF PACKETS

Throw them up high in the door of your refrigerator and forget about them.

This isn't to say I have no use for liquid yeasts. I have ventured into hefe's recently and recognize the value of liquids for these (and many old world) ales. My advice is that if you buy the liquid, spend about as much as a package costs at garage sales and get some canning equipment to wash the dregs from your primary to reclaim it. You may also come across a cheap vessel for making starters (I did).

OK, I'm off topic BAD now. To the OP. RDWHAHB and let it sit for another day. Don't keep pulling the lid off. Don't keep breathing into the airlock. Oh, and make sure the liquid level in the airlock is sufficient to make it bounce when activity commences (personal experience). In the mean time go get some packets of dry yeast as stated and have it ready to go. If nothing happens in two more days, pitch a packet. That's what I'd do. YMMV

Patience has paid off....I hope.

I had agitated the fermenter last night, and before I went to bed I started to see what looked like the start of krausen on the top. Woke up this morning and saw a full thin layer of foam (looks thick though). Hopeful I went to work and came back hoping for a very active krausen and airlock. Didn't get that, but its up to about half an inch now, and there are some scum ring marks.

I'm hoping it will come on a lot more in days to come.

Looks like this thing has finally finished fermenting. Got down to 1.010 in the end. Been in the fermenter since the 14th. Definitely the longest I've ever kept a beer in there.

Had a little taste of the sample I took and it doesn't taste too bad right now. Bitter at the start, floral in the middle and sweet towards the end.

Will bottle her tomorrow and we'll see how she's doing in a couple of weeks time.

Well, just as an update, and this may be of note to new guys as well who are worrying, I tried the first of this batch after 2.5 weeks in the bottle.

Tastes great. So good that I ended up drinking 3 of the bottles already (oops). It is still a bit green but really doesn't have any unpleasant flavors in there. I was going for a more British style of IPA (because I prefer that) it is nice and floral with some fruityness in there as well. I do find it a bit too sweet and think it could do with more bitterness, but overall I'm very pleased thus far. Might be hard to condition this one a long time without drinking it all.

Well, just as an update, and this may be of note to new guys as well who are worrying, I tried the first of this batch after 2.5 weeks in the bottle.

Tastes great. So good that I ended up drinking 3 of the bottles already (oops). It is still a bit green but really doesn't have any unpleasant flavors in there. I was going for a more British style of IPA (because I prefer that) it is nice and floral with some fruityness in there as well. I do find it a bit too sweet and think it could do with more bitterness, but overall I'm very pleased thus far. Might be hard to condition this one a long time without drinking it all.

That sweetness might drop a little bit if they're not fully carbed yet. You might be tasting some of the priming sugar. LEAVE THEM ALONE for another week. :)

Back