Cat owners. Let's talk litter boxes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblvsn

Reaction score
I live in a town home without a basement. Unfortunately that means our litter box has to be out in the open. The smell can be a bit much without constant cleaning. We've tried different cat litters that are supposed to help with odor but never really noticed much difference.

I've seen some of these "self cleaning" litter boxes. Does anyone own one? How well do the work? Recommend models?

I use Tidy Cats Crystals Blend, which works pretty well at reducing odors (to a point).

I've never tried the self cleaning litter boxes, but I'd recommend the Arm and Hammer litter box deodorizer, it works well for me.

I have one that we used for a while. Didn't particularly like it. I think we still have it, taking up room in the basement. Didn't work for us because it's got to be plugged in, and there were no outlets in convenient locations in the house. but it worked OK. You still need to empty out the trays pretty regularly.

There are lots of both good and bad automatic litter boxes out there. We shopped around for different types, and this one came highly recommended -- and we like it a lot:
http://www.scoopfree.com

My sister and family have three cats and have gone through a few different ones. They finally bit the bullet and bought the Cadillac of automatic litter boxes, and they think it is tremendous:
http://www.catgenie.com/

We've got one and it is very nice, but loud. If you get one, expect your cats to be scared of it for a few days. ;) You just dump out the tray, from my experience it works well and is easier/more convienient.
edit> That cat Genie is awesome, I might be tempted to try it out. ;) My best friend/roommate did this as a prank in college to our friends(all girls) house who had a cat. Took a dump in their kitty litter box. It sparked a prank war that approached WWIII levels, but never got criminal thankfully.

The obvious solution is to get rid of the dirty fleabag that created the need for the thing in the first place :D

My roommate didnt like this solution when I offered it. She doesnt clean the cat box as often as she should since the box is directly outside my bedroom door.

She also didnt like my solution of putting a #6stopper in the cat, with 30ft of 3/8" tubing to the toilet lol.

My roommate didnt like this solution when I offered it. She doesnt clean the cat box as often as she should since the box is directly outside my bedroom door.

She also didnt like my solution of putting a #6stopper in the cat, with 30ft of 3/8" tubing to the toilet lol.

Hmmm. blowoff tube for a cat. Interesting

Think feeding the cat baking soda might help? like when the fridge stinks a bit so you put a box of baking soda in there.

Just kidding

funny-pictures-kittens-litterbox-crowded-ladies-room2.jpg

I had a LitterMaid thing, and after spending over a hundred bucks on it, we tossed it into the trash an bought a $30 cat dome.

eac8858387a35f82b11320f7153010b4.jpg

With two cats, it's fairly decent at eliminating odors. The problem is, no matter what kind of litter box you have, your cat craps the same amount. With two cats, once a day is fine.

Thanks for all the quick replies! Some good feedback so far. The cat genie looks like a great solution but damn it's expensive. Man it would be sweet to toilet train 'em.

I have had a couple of self cleaning litter boxes...they always seem to break, but I have always had them replaced by warranty.

There is a new one out there that I have not tried but I was looking at, it actually flushes like a toilet and cleans itself, but it was a lil on the expensive side.

Let me know if you need some more info on it.

My cat died recently but for a decade I used a Litter Maid Self cleaner. http://www.littermaid.com/

If you are at all handy, you can do what I did to make it even easier to deal with. I build a small shelf that was tall enough for a 'normal' catbox to slide underneath. Then I cut the bottom out of the disposal bin so that the scooped waste dropped through to the litter box below. This allowed me to just pull the box out and carry it to the garbage easier. Also, it allowed us to leave for a week on Maui and our house sitter didn't need to clean the litterbox. I also build a small cabinet to go over it.

And we used tidy cat multiple cats clumping litter--- even though we only had the one cat. The only times the litter stank was when it was particularly humid if we didn't dump the bin every week. The shelf/cabinet I built was in our den where we watch television.

Our cat never even realized what the thing did, near as I can tell. It would never run when he was in the box (IR beam) and would cycle 10 minutes after he left it. I 'trained' him on it by using it as a 'regular' cot box for a week before I plugged it in.

I have 3 friends with the same catbox and all of them have had great results with it, even in multicat households (like the one friend of mine who has a cat named 'Cat 5' because he's an IT professional and the cat was his 5th.

I co-habitate with 3 cats, and the advice I have about cats is not going to be what you want to hear. The key to a cat box not stinking is to clean it out twice a day. I am not joking for it not to stink, you need to clean it out regularly. Additionally there are enzymes you can add to help with the urine smell.

If you go for the auto cat box, don't get ones with the rake, they don't work very well. There is one called the litter robot it is about 300 but it works very well provided your cat isn't huge or over weight.

Additionally, if you have a male cat, their urine stinks horribly if you don't get them fixed, sorry guy not offending my nose is more important than you having your balls.

korncob said:
I used a Litter Maid Self cleaner. http://www.littermaid.com/

If you are at all handy, you can do what I did to make it even easier to deal with. I build a small shelf that was tall enough for a 'normal' catbox to slide underneath. Then I cut the bottom out of the disposal bin so that the scooped waste dropped through to the litter box below.

I did something like that and still found Litter Maid to be bad. My cats pee so much that using clumping litter caused the bricks to stick to the bottom of the pan and it would occasionally trap the rake. If it didn't, it turned the rake into a wall of clay. Not nice. I suppose it would work if it was under "light load".

Donasay said:
The key to a cat box not stinking is to clean it out twice a day.

I've got to agree there, though I'd say "daily" is enough with two cats. Doesn't really matter where it is, cat feces and urine smells, and unless you're exchanging the air insider your house very rapidly it WILL stink after a few minutes.

Donasay said:
If you go for the auto cat box, don't get ones with the rake, they don't work very well.

Same experience with two rather large cats. Rake turned into a wall of clay if it didn't get trapped totally.

I co-habitate with 3 cats, and the advice I have about cats is not going to be what you want to hear. The key to a cat box not stinking is to clean it out twice a day. I am not joking for it not to stink, you need to clean it out regularly. Additionally there are enzymes you can add to help with the urine smell.

We do keep the box clean but I travel a lot during the week and the swmbo is pregnant at the moment (I guess after some research pregnant women aren't supposed to be near cat boxes) The crap isn't so bad as the cats seems to cover that up well. It's the urine smell that drives us both insane. I appreciate the various reviews of the self cleaning boxes. Seems as if we have a few options to consider. Guess we'll be making a trip to Petsmart this weekend to do some looking around.

My cats were given away before my recent move... but I had a covered litter box, and cleaned it once a day... I never noticed the smell.

My cat died recently but for a decade I used a Litter Maid Self cleaner. http://www.littermaid.com/

If you are at all handy, you can do what I did to make it even easier to deal with. I build a small shelf that was tall enough for a 'normal' catbox to slide underneath. Then I cut the bottom out of the disposal bin so that the scooped waste dropped through to the litter box below.

What if you substituted a 55 gallon drum instead of a regular litter box as the catch basin?

We use one of those cat boxes with the lid thing so the litter isn't easily visible. The litter we use is the green container stuff at costco. We've found it to be very effective, and it clumps well. I think it's supposed to be natural with lemongrass or something, but it just smells like clay to me. I put a little arm and hammer deodorizer before adding litter and then on top when I fill it, and every few scoopings I add a little more. Virtually no odor unless the cat has digestive issues, but it goes away fairly quickly after that.

I've spent hours researching all of the various no-scoop cat boxes and they all seem like maintenance nightmares, and I certainly don't want to be working on something my cat ****s in. There's one that looks super cool called the "Litter Genie" that I was almost ready to drop quite a bit of $$ on before I read this extremely humorous, well-written review
Cat Genie takes the small unpleasantness of daily cleaning the litter and it saves it up and releases that unpleasantness as one big unscheduled, unpleasant inconvenience every week or two. Advanced monitors will ensure that the device failure will occur during the workday, as you prepare for your important meeting with your prospective client. Nothing like cleaning out wet cat poo in your nicest suit. Or, you may be pleasantly awoken in the middle of the night by the repeating three beeps of "there's poo and hair in the hopper." You will become more familiar with your cat's feces every day as the cat genie gently fills your home with the aroma of baking excrement. Plus, you get to pay over $300 for technology that was "designed" and built for less than $2. The "processor" unit was designed in 1967 and allows all the functionality of the most advanced microchip devices of its era. It has both on and off modes. (Note: off mode available only while unplugged.)

Actually, the real reason for the high cost of the device is to cover the costs of all the customer support that they must provide and to cover the costs of all of the returned units. The question is not IF, but WHEN you will find yourself hunched over your cat's feces floating in a pool of fetid water, picking small plastic pellets out of the opaque, pungent water with your fingers so that you can get the device put back together.

And your cats will thank you by depositing their love bundles beside the machine that's half filled with water and beeping away forlornly if you happen to be away when it fails.

We have three cats, they had no trouble adjusting to the machine over about a week. The small plastic pellets getting everywhere in the house is not really any big deal. Roomba takes care of most of them well. We've now had the machine for three months. We received a replacement base last week for a leaky drain hose. We've called their customer service line enough times that we now know the "secret" diagnostic techniques of their experts. We don't know if we're going to keep it or return it. If we keep it, we're definitely going to install an exhaust fan in the laundry room, and set it to a timer to go when the unit is on. For some reason there are little bits of poo that fall between the tines of the hopper, and they get slow baked every time the unit dries itself. The stench is really outstanding. It's hard to describe. I'm a doctor, and I've rarely ever smelled anything so bad.

My recommendation is to wait for the next generation cat sanitation solution. That device will need to be a complete redesign to solve the myriad of problems with this unfortunate device. To say something positive, the customer support line is manned by kind, well-meaning kids who really do feel badly that you're having a hard time with your mechanical poo soup maker.

If you do buy this device, get some thick rubber gloves and a couple of towels that you won't use for anything else.

I'd be interested to hear how you keep your cat from throwing little bits of litter all over the floor. This is my first purely indoor cat and the only place the litter box fits is in the bathroom, and walking through litter and having it stick to your feet on your way to the shower at 6 on a monday morning is an unpleasant experience.

Forgive me for thinking outside "the box" but have you thought about trying to toilet train your cat? Seriously.

http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/toilet.html

The only reason we havent tried is bc our litter box doesnt bother us and we are lazy.

My friends tried this. The cat ended up just ****ting in their bed instead. They abandoned that experiment.

I use a disposable litter tray which I find works very well. The key for me on the whole smell issue is to scoop daily and treat the box with a little baking soda. It also helps to have as many cat boxes as you have cats (ie. 2 cats, 2 boxes); it's best to keep these boxes in separate locations.

I am thinking of toilet training the cats, that is way better! I dont know why the hell my girlfreind MUST clean the kitty litter box every time I am racking the beer or the wine! Every time!!! I will be half way through doing somthing and there she is scooping litter adding who knows what to the air! Meybey I will get a spray bottle and give her a good squirt next time she dose that!

Wing nut

Hey, that'll work great! Unless you like sex, then it probably won't work out.

:p

+1!!!

When I lived in my apartment the litterbox had to be in the bathroom and I had to scoop it often to avoid the smell. luckily for me there was a window above it. There was no avoiding stepping on tracked litter though...

Get a dog. Those stupid, smelly things just love eating treats out of the litterbox then coming up to you and licking your face.

Back