Spray Rubber to seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soccerRef

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
alright the short story.... I was having issues with leaking C02 manifold. It seems to have sprung a few very small leaks, which I have identified now with the soap test. Its a 4 way manifold, and in order to fix it I really will end up taking almost the entire thing apart, and rebuilding it due to its small size.

The question I have is instead of taking it apart, could I just spray the entire thing with the spray rubber? I can buy it at the depot for less than $10/can, 1 can will easily cover what I need, and would be a quick fix! [ of course I would tape the handles, and the connections to bev line prior to spray since there are not leaks there, and those parts need to be able to move later...

anyone have experience using the spray rubber?

thanks!

Where is the manifold leaking? There aren't that many places where it can leak. Usually, it's the inlet and outlets fittings, or the connection of the hoses to the fittings.

If the fittings are leaking where they are screwed into the manifold, remove the fitting, apply teflon tape in the proper direction, and reinstall. If it's at the hose, tighten down the clamp (if adjustable) or replace the non-adjustable clamp to an adjustable one.

MC

Are threads leaking? Could you use teflon plumbing thread sealing tape? The stuff is cheap and may take the pressure. Try it.

as to where its leaking... the manifold itself is all fittings.... it was built out of 4 T fittings, connected together with nipples ( to add spacing for the handles of the valves), each T goes to a valve etc...

some very small leaks have developed at some of the connection points... im sure its the threads leaking, and yes tapping things up would most likely work. but it was built to be compact, so to take it apart and put back together would be a pain in the ass, and take a while... spraying would take 10 min or less, and possibly create a better long term seal ...

as to where its leaking... the manifold itself is all fittings.... it was built out of 4 T fittings, connected together with nipples ( to add spacing for the handles of the valves), each T goes to a valve etc...

some very small leaks have developed at some of the connection points... im sure its the threads leaking, and yes tapping things up would most likely work. but it was built to be compact, so to take it apart and put back together would be a pain in the ass, and take a while... spraying would take 10 min or less, and possibly create a better long term seal ...

Unless otherwise specified, the spray stuff isn't made to hold pressure. I wouldn't waste my time.

MC

I have never heard of anyone using this method for a thread leak.

Would it work? Perhaps, but no guarantees that it would last.

Your best chance for a lasting seal is to disassemble the leaking fittings and reassemble them with teflon tape or pipe dope.

Here's another thought - it might work, but if it doesn't, you have ruined your fitting for sure, as you will never get all of that stuff off to be able to take it apart and fix it with the thread tape that will work the first time.

Back