Hydrometer reading!?!??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRmac

Reaction score
Hey my friends and I are new to brewing and I just dont understand the hydrometer! My OG was 1.035 and read that I had to do another reading between first and second fermentation. That reading was 1.1025. This just doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone please help! If the 1.1025 was my final gravity it would be negative ABV.:drunk:

yes there weren't any bubbles. I did a reading on thursday and again on friday with the same reading. Thats why I transferred to second fermentation. In the book I have says if the hydrometer reading doesn't change from day 7 to day 8 then transfer to second fermentor. Does this seem weird to you too?

Hey my friends and I are new to brewing and I just dont understand the hydrometer! My OG was 1.035 and read that I had to do another reading between first and second fermentation. That reading was 1.1025. This just doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone please help! If the 1.1025 was my final gravity it would be negative ABV. :drunk:

It's not possible that the reading is 1.1025. You have too many digits in behind the 1. Could it be that you're really at 1.010? That would be expected, normal, and likely. The 1.1 reading means that not only did the beer not ferment, but it gained 50 gravity points, which isn't possible unless someone dumped 10 pounds of sugar in it when you weren't looking!

ahhhhh! What a noob! I just took another look at my hydrometer and at the top says 1.000. I assumed that the reading of 10 meant 1.10 but I realize now means 1.010. It makes sense now. Thanks for making me take a second look!:mug:

Latest posts

Back