Once-A-Month Beer Related Thread: Munich Pale Ale Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I note that it has been a month since I started a thread that had anything remotely to do with beer brewing . . . . so here it is, my beer thread for September.

In primary now, fermenting at a cool 62 degrees is a pale ale that I brewed using Munich as the base malt. I've become a big fan of Munich-based beers and thought I would give this a try. The recipe for the 5.5 gallon batch was:

9.00 lb Munich Malt
2.00 lb Wheat Malt
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
0.50 oz Pacific Gem [15.00 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028)

Mashed at 152 degrees, batch sparged. Fermenting at 62 degrees. Original gravity was 1.052 and the estimated bitterness is 35 IBUs.

I'll come back with a follow-up report on how it turned out.

I also love brewing beers that feature lots of Munich, esp Dunkels and DoppelBocks.
Which one are you using?
I've had issues in the past using the unlabeled domestic 10L Munich from my LHBS. Efficiency was awful, and I've heard other reports of low diastatic power.
I now only use Weyermann Munich II, and have been very happy with the results.

i do my pale ale with all vienna, but this looks good. i think i'm gunna have to try a munich pale, i have 20# of weyermann munich just waiting to be brewed.

Back