this batch wasn't as expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twofox

Reaction score
Background: I'm using a recipe as a base to test out yeast varieties and other things. It's an extract amber with some specialty grains steeped at 150~ degrees for 30 mins. I've brewed 2 batches with the recipe so far.

I also brewed my first batch (Batch A) with an extract kit. I squeezed the grain bag at the end of the steep, and it has a grainy aftertaste that I'm pretty sure are tannins.

Batch 1: 1 gallon batch. Steeping temp varied from low 150's to 160. Tasted the wort before pitching yeast and when racked to secondary. Used stainelss pot. Tasted great!

Batch 2: 2 gallon batch. Doubled everything, got as accurate as possible. Used enameled pot. Steeping temp was 155 spot on the whole time. As close to 30 mins as possible. Racked to primary today. Tasted the wort before pitching yeast and it's a bit different. Has a grainy bitter taste at the back of the roof of the mouth that batch 1 didn't have. It's similar to the taste I got from batch A but not as bad. Now, I didn't squeeze the grain bag at the end of the steep, and I used a better strainer so the hops added at flameout (pellet hops) didn't get into the Primary fermentor as much as in batch 1.

Questions: Can you burn DME, and can that cause a grainy aftertaste? I'm pretty sure I didn't but the only thing was that there was a tan film in places on the bottom of the pan at the end. (Same with Batch A). Other than that, fewer aroma hops (flameout addition) got into the wort in the primary which might have otherwise covered up said grainy, bitter taste?

Also, I boiled 3 gals and ended up with about 2.25 - 2.5 gals of wort. What difference would that make?

OG on batch 1 was 1.060, OG on batch 2 is 1.046. What can cause that? If I understand correctly, less sugars right? maybe I measured wrong.

Anyways, hoping I can get some enlightenment, so I can avoid more test batches than I have too :mug:

I hade the liquid malt from one of my kits carmelize a little on the bottom othe boil pot. Didn't hurt anything in that particular case.

As far asa the lower SG (OG), Youll most likely jst get less alcohol.

Good luck.

I think I've narrowed the flavor issue down.

So the question becomes, can scorched DME cause a grainy backtaste?

Back