IOWA Brewers! Echo, Echo, Echo...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the quad city area(blue grass/davenport)

I am in Md but originally from Iowa and have been coming back a couple times a month (down from Blue Grass). What is the homebrew scene like there? Any good shops, clubs?

Hey folks, mind if I join in? Native Iowan, CFHS and UNI grad who moved to Texas after college. Love Texas, but miss Iowa. I'll be coming home for Christmas this year, and looking forward to drinking some beers that I can't get down here. Hoping to visit Toppling Goliath if I can get enough family members on board for a road trip. (only about 80 miles) Otherwise, I will visit Singlespeed in downtown CF and check out the taps at Mulligans. Any place else in the CF / Waterloo area that I should definitely check out? Any home brewers in Cedar Falls? (no I haven't read this entire thread yet. I will eventually)

I'll weigh in...I lived and homebrewed in CF until this summer, then moved all the way to Hudson. Still homebrew there, though! There is a homebrew club called CRAZE that has monthly meetings, attend events, host brew days, etc. but I have not been involved. There are several homebrewers in CF and Waterloo.

As far as places to hit while here in CF, the two you mentioned are good ones. I would add Uncle Harry's (right across the street from Singlespeed) and you might try Beck's on University. I've not been there yet, but they've have added more taps and are focusing more on craft now. In Waterloo, Lava Lounge/Beer Hall on Falls Ave always seem to have something interesting on tap.

Just stumbled across this thread today, and I'm a regular lurker on HBT. :mug:

I am in Md but originally from Iowa and have been coming back a couple times a month (down from Blue Grass). What is the homebrew scene like there? Any good shops, clubs?

Nothing really out by blue grass, that I've noticed but in moline Illinois there is a shop called UBREW. Brian is the owner operator and a cool dude. His shop is on the second floor by bad boys pizza.

I am in Md but originally from Iowa and have been coming back a couple times a month (down from Blue Grass). What is the homebrew scene like there? Any good shops, clubs?[/QUOTE

UBREW in moline Illinois. Brian is the owner operator. It's in the building that bad boys pizza is in. It just on the 2nd floor on the back side of the building.

Nothing really out by blue grass, that I've noticed but in moline Illinois there is a shop called UBREW. Brian is the owner operator and a cool dude. His shop is on the second floor by bad boys pizza.

Thanks. I will check when I get back.

Love to see that my Iowa thread has gone so far! So I guess I am back. Going to go update the build thread now. Been one hell of a year!!

Build updates!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=510158&page=2

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Been a busy couple months here too, without a lot of time to brew (coaching CC and teaching). But, CC is over and hoping to get 3 beers done this weekend. Citra IPA is just about to hit the mash tun. Did some upgrades to my bar area as well this fall - got rid of my old upright fridge and replaced with kegerators and towers through the bar. Definitely more convenient that opening and closing the fridge all the time and opened up more bar space too.:mug:

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the finished product

You and me both!!

Your bar is looking good Kevin!! When I get mine done I think I will have to have an open invite for Iowa HBTers! I'm down in Ames, anyone want to come help? lol

Back