oxyclean different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyG

Reaction score
I just bought some about 2 months ago. Just at local Home Depot and they had a display with it on sale, but the contents had blue "things" in it. My last one was all whitiish. I checked and it looked like the one i got and no perfume.

Did they change the formula?

All I can find around me is the Oxyclean 'Versatile' and that has the blue odor crystals in it. I now get the dollar store version of it that has no odor crystals in it and it seems to work just as well....not to mention half the price as well.

My local Wal-Mart stopped carrying the Oxyclean free and replaced it with some stuff called dirty jobs, it seems to be oxygen based and no perfume. So far so good. The regular Oxyclean with the crystals in it has too strong of a smell for me.

Why not just use PBW? Works much better then oxyclean especially at near boiling temps.

What exactly are you cleaning at near boiling temperatures? :eek:
Hot tap water, oxyclean, and a paper towel seems to work more than fine (even the dollar store brand, although it is more difficult to dissolve IMO).

I clean my brew rig with PBW at 180 deg. After the brew is done and the hops and grain are removed I open all the valves and pump the PBW threw the valves and pipes. Then use hot water to rinse. I bought half a 50lbs bucket last year so I think that it was $63 for that and I have enough to last about 2 years.

Latest posts

Back