Can Someone Convert a Recipe for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedneckBrewer

Reaction score
I've got a recipe for an AG that I REALLY want to do, but I don't have a way to convert it from AG to Extract yet. Can someone do that for me real quick?

Here's the recipe:

10lbs maris otter
1lb caramel malt 20L
1lb german dark wheat
.50lb 2-row carapils
.25lb english chocolate malt

1oz tettnanger 60min
.5oz tettnanger 15min
.5oz tettnanger flame out

Thanks y'all!

I usually do conversions in Beersmith, but for some reason its choking on the wheat malt right now.

Here's what I would do.
Sub the maris otter and german dark wheat malt for
6.1# pale liquid extract and 2# wheat liquid extract. You are going to lose some of the nuttiness from the maris otter, so if you can get some kind of english pale extract, go for that.

Everything else will steep just fine.
1# 20L (I would try to find carastan to get back a little english character, its ~30L, but you can adjust accordingly)
.5# carapils
.25# english chocolate malt.

hops remain the same.

I usually do conversions in Beersmith, but for some reason its choking on the wheat malt right now.

Here's what I would do.
Sub the maris otter and german dark wheat malt for
6.1# pale liquid extract and 2# wheat liquid extract. You are going to lose some of the nuttiness from the maris otter, so if you can get some kind of english pale extract, go for that.

Everything else will steep just fine.
1# 20L (I would try to find carastan to get back a little english character, its ~30L, but you can adjust accordingly)
.5# carapils
.25# english chocolate malt.

hops remain the same.

Excellent! Thank you! This is going to be a Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan clone, so I have to roast the pecans before adding them in, so hopefully that will add some nutty flavor back into it as well. If I could find a DME instead of LME in English pale, would that work too? If so, how much?

Thanks again!

I've got a recipe for an AG that I REALLY want to do, but I don't have a way to convert it from AG to Extract yet. Can someone do that for me real quick?

Here's the recipe:

10lbs maris otter
1lb caramel malt 20L
1lb german dark wheat
.50lb 2-row carapils
.25lb english chocolate malt

1oz tettnanger 60min
.5oz tettnanger 15min
.5oz tettnanger flame out

Thanks y'all!
RedneckBrewer I entered your original AG recipe in qBrew, assuming a 5 gallon batch, and came up with the following characteristics. Looks like a nice beer, what yeast will you be using?

pecanclone.jpg

Click for free Recipe Calculator:mug:

I was fortunate enough to sample Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan nut brown ale yesterday at a fest and it was delicious! good luck

You are going to lose some of the nuttiness from the maris otter, so if you can get some kind of english pale extract, go for that.

I would steep about 1/8lb.-1/4lb. of Victory/Biscuit malt to make up for the nuttiness of MO. Even the English Pale Extracts I've used don't have that MO taste.

Back