Ah I need help! I am an idiot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kauz

Reaction score
Alright so yesterday I decided to brew my fifth or six batch of beer. This one was a brewers best dunklewizen. This was the first time I have ever done a dry yeast kit. The instructions that came with the kit stated simply sprinkle the yeast on the wort and stir. So this is what I did, but now a day and a half later I do not see any action taking place.

Now the instructions didn't say anything about rehydrating the yeast but I am thinking this should have been done before adding it to my wort. If this is correct, is it ok to purchase more yeast and rehyrdate it and add it to the wort if no action is taken place by tomorrow evening?

Please help!

no worries mate, check the seals on the lid and grommet around the airlock. go ahead and repitch if nothing is going on.

Probably nothing to worry about since it can take up to 72 hours before you get action. However, did you look at the date on the Brewers Best box to ensure it wasn't old? Just a thought.

On the upside, just posting this thread should get your fermentation going. It's some kind of weird beer god rule that as soon as you post, it starts. :D

Welcome to HBT!

Thats how I do my Fermentis yeast. I usually see action the next morning but fermentation can take 72 hr to start. What are you fermenting in? If you're using a bucket it may just not be visible fermentation (ie. CO2 production really doesnt make many bubbles in the airlock).

Even though it is better to, lots of us don't rehydrate with no problems. I'm assuming that you used the yeast that came in the kit & that your wort was cool. My best guess is the yeast have been old or was subject to extreme temp. Pitch a fresh pack, I like to keep one on hand for just such emergencies...

Alright guys thanks for the support/info I suppose I will let it set for a couple more days before I start to worry to much. I am fermenting in a 6 gallon carboy so I know nothing has taken place yet, my seals are tight so hopefully it takes off in the next day!

Back