Recipe inspiration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
I'm wondering what to brew for my next beer and 3rd since going all-grain.

I have the following to hand:

6kg/13lbs MO

500g/1lb aromatic malt (haven't used this before, but very into malty beers at the mo and want to see what this will add)

250g / 0.5lb chocolate malt

500g / 1lb carapils

500g / 1lb crystal 60l

2 x Safale-04 dry yeast

I have some fuggles left over, but will buy whatever hops I need for this beer, since I have most other ingredients left over.

Ideas please. I'm thinking a nice malty beer, but not adverse to balancing this with moderate hop additions.

Cheers

Not a bad idea. A high ABV, thick, heavy 3 course meal of a beer! Now you have got me thinking.

Regular Ol' Brown Ale

8# Maris Otter
0.5# Carapils
0.5# Crystal 60L
0.5# Chocolate Malt
0.25# Aromatic (powerful stuff!)

Bitter with whatever you please to ~25 IBU, and finish with Fuggles for flavor and aroma.

OR

Mild Experiment

6# Maris Otter
6 oz Chocolate
4 oz Aromatic

Fuggles for bittering; target ~18-20 IBU.

Regular Ol' Brown Ale

8# Maris Otter
0.5# Carapils
0.5# Crystal 60L
0.5# Chocolate Malt
0.25# Aromatic (powerful stuff!)

Bitter with whatever you please to ~25 IBU, and finish with Fuggles for flavor and aroma.

OR

Mild Experiment

6# Maris Otter
6 oz Chocolate
4 oz Aromatic

Fuggles for bittering; target ~18-20 IBU.

I like the sound of both, but the first does sound nice. Have you ever brewed this and if so, how was it?

Cheers

Another suggestion is an ordinary bitter.
6.5# M.O.
0.5# Crystal 60
2 oz Chocolate (Optional)
0.5# Cara-Pils (Optional)

Use the chocolate if you want a darker beer. It will also add a little bit of flavor.
Use the Cara-Pils if you like a beer with more head. I don't. It takes up too much space in the glass.
Mash at about 152 - 153 using 1 qt water per lb grain. With the M.O. this makes a big difference.
Bitter with something fairly neutral. Use Fuggles, Willamette, or Goldings for flavor and aroma.
Go for ~30 IBU's.
That should give you two brews (one for each packet of S-04).

-a.

Another suggestion is an ordinary bitter.
6.5# M.O.
0.5# Crystal 60
2 oz Chocolate (Optional)
0.5# Cara-Pils (Optional)

Use the chocolate if you want a darker beer. It will also add a little bit of flavor.
Use the Cara-Pils if you like a beer with more head. I don't. It takes up too much space in the glass.
Mash at about 152 - 153 using 1 qt water per lb grain. With the M.O. this makes a big difference.
Bitter with something fairly neutral. Use Fuggles, Willamette, or Goldings for flavor and aroma.
Go for ~30 IBU's.
That should give you two brews (one for each packet of S-04).

-a.

ajf, I like the look of this. I would like to include the aromatic malt and am not awfully hung up on this being exactly to style. I'm gonna have a fiddle around with this recipe.

This is only my 3rd all grain and was looking at my process for a fairly low abv beer like this. If I mash 1/1.25qt per lb and want to collect 6 gallons into my kettle to boil down to five, this means I'm gonna be using about double the amount of sparge water vs mash water. Does this sound ok? Only I have read a few posts about tanin extraction and this is something I would like to avoid.

Cheers

After 1st lot of fiddling, I'm thinking this may be interesting...

Type: All grain Size: 5 Imp. gal.
Color: 18 HCU (~11 SRM)
Bitterness: 30 IBU
OG: 1.039 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 3.4% v/v (2.7% w/w)

Grain: 3.2kg / 7lb British pale
180g / 6oz Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
180g / 6oz British crystal 50-60L
60g / 2oz British chocolate
125g / 4 oz Belgian aromatic
Mash: 75% efficiency
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.032 6.0 Imp. gal.
Hops: 15g Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
15g / 0.5 oz Kent Goldings (5% AA, 30 min.)
15g / 0.5 oz Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 30 min.)
30g / 1oz Kent Goldings (aroma)

Safale-04 yeast - rehydrated

Single infusion with 2 rounds of batch sparging
Mash at 153

I don't know about the aromatic because I've never used it. But other than that, it looks fine.
I mash with 1 US qt per lb grain, and would use about 6 US gallons to sparge a grain bill of that size. The only tannin problems I've had were caused by over sparging on a fly sparge, and forgetting to add some gypsum to some alkaline sparge water. Never had a problem with a batch sparge. I have found that mashing thicker with M.O. makes a substantial difference to the body of the beer.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

-a.

Adam,

I hadn't brewed that exact recipe before, no. I was just thinking out loud. It's a pretty middle-of-the-road grist and hops schedule for the style.

The Bitter looks good! I'm not crazy about the Chocolate Malt in there; in fact, I'd omit it if you're going to use Aromatic.

Also, keep in mind that Maris Otter is a more aromatic and "malty" base malt than, say, US 2-row. MO is crackery, biscuity and bready on its own. Adding a malt specifically designed to impart significant amounts of those flavors and aromas might create a malty monster. I'm not guaranteeing that's going to happen, but it's something to consider.

Cheers!

Bob

Back