Bulk grain buy for Michigan brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
OK, guys....I've done the homework and I'd like to act.

The week between Christmas and New Year's I'll be on vacation, and I'm willing to make the drive into Chicago to pick up an order at MidCountry Malt. They're in South Holland, which is about a 2 hour drive from me.

Their price on 55 pound bag of pale ale or pilsen malt is $33.90, six-row is $35.89.

55 pound bags of DME is $98.00.

Let me know via this forum or PM me if you're interested.

I can use EdWort as a reference, since he and some other Austin brewers did a bulk buy of caps through me.

Let's brew, and save some money!:rockin:

I may be game for this. How far are you from Toledo? With any luck I'm going to have my AG setup ready to go just after the first of the year, Christmas list is all brewing stuff, so getting a good stock of grain would be great.

Dangit! You're just a little too far away from me :(. And exactly at the wrong time of year (I vacation in Covert every summer, and this coming summer will be interning in Bridgeman).

If you make a spring order, I'm so in on that, but if you make it beforehand, good luck finding fellow purchasers!

BTW what are the "local" hangouts in Covert/surrounding area? We've really only found the Thirsty Perch in South Haven, but that's really about it.

Ferment Ed and I have purchased from them before. We live near them and just did a pretty good size group buy ourselves recently with some local homebrewers. You'll be happy. You can't beat their prices!

This is 8 miles from me and I drive right by it everyday. They make a nice IPA, too.

Select a grain type and you'll see a per pound price. select the drop down menu at the right of the pound price and you'll see the sack price. You are buying the same exact grain that they are brewing with on a daily basis, in a 30 barrel brewhouse. And they are knowledgeable and nice guys. Basically, if they aren't busy with something, they'll grind it free too.

http://www.michiganbrewing.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Beer:Grains

Yeah, Bell's has a retail store in Kazoo. SWMBO works in Kazoo, and she can stop after work.

Problem is, I've never seen full bags there, and they didn't seem to want to order one for me.

That's why I'm heading to Chitown, maybe. I haven't checked out Henry Hill's link yet.

Dycokac said:
Michigan Brewing Co is supposed to have a good Rueben sandwich too :)

Never had any food there-except for the endless free peanuts. They don't let you throw the shells on the floor anymore, now that they moved into the big place. :(

Back