Motueka Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
Made a lager with Hallertau at 60 and 20, Motueka at 15, 10, and 5. At month 2 and 3 I could taste a general bitterness and maybe a particular element of the grain bill. Not much hop aroma really. Or at least any aroma I'm familiar with.

Now at month 4 and 5 and I can really taste the melon profile of the Motueka. The bitterness has dwindled a little and the malt profile is a bit flat. Additions were pretty much equal amounts at each phase with a total IBU of maybe 30

Any idea what's going on here? I'm a bit surprised to be tasting so much melon this many months in to the brew. The brew overall was received well by many. No problems with it.

For now I'm going to assume that the 20 min Hallertau aroma/flavor has completely dissipated, and what's remaining is the hop bitterness (mostly from the 60min) and the Motueka flavor.

Interesting if true. I would have assumed that the late hop addtions would be the first to go, sort of like how the affects of dry hopping don't stick around for long.

Motueka produces lemon,lime,&/or tropical fruit flavors & aromas. I got a fruity lime sort of flavor from it myself.

Back