keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek224

Reaction score
I'm finishing up on my keezer build. It's a simple 5 cu ft freezer from Lowe's which I built a collar for and am using the Johnson thermostat controller with. My question is I'm looking at taps and shanks now. This is going to be a 2 tap setup and was looking for advice on styles and brands. After doing some research everyone seems to love the Perlicks. So what are the differences between them? I'm will be using one for stouts so do I have to use a different tap? Just looking for some advice what's the best place to purchase them (price) and can I get them with the shank? If not is there anything special to look at when purchasing to make sure they will work with my kegging setup? Thanks for any and all help!!

When I first built my keezer, I had the cheap chrome taps. They would stick if not used often. I highly recommend the Perlicks - pay a little more up front so you don't have to worry about them in the future. I don't have any experience using a stout tap, but my standard faucets work fine enough for me to not spend the extra money on one. Post some pictures when you get done!

Thanks a lot for the reply I wasn't sure if I would have good results with a stout being poured from a regular tap but looks as if that's what I'm going to do. What model oerlicks do you recommend?

If you want to save a few bucks and still have forward sealing perlicks, you can get the chrome plated faucets for under $20 each.

It is a lot cheaper than solid SS. I'm not sure that with average home use that you would need to buy the SS? Maybe somebody has some insight on whether it is really worth the extra cash. (I'm going with the 525PC from Ritebrew for $18.49 ea. They sell the 525SS for 32.99)

Stouts will pour fine from a standard tap. The stout taps are for nitrogen, which Guinness uses to give their beer a creamier flavor. You would also need a nitrogen tank.

I'm just buying all chrome plated that don't need the tail piece, washer and nut. I'm imagine that you could mix and match. There isn't a lot of difference in the price of the shanks at ritebrew (not sure about other places). It's about 5 bucks more per/shank for the SS after you add the tailpiece, washer and nut.

I misread your post buddy...I thought you were buying cheap knock off faucets. You were comparing chrome plated to SS perlicks?

I would imagine the only issue you could run into is any type of chipping of the chrome plating exposing the underlying metal. That problem doesn't exist with stainless steel.

True

I guess it all depends on whether not having to worry about the chrome chipping is worth about twice the $$?

I'm not sure that I'm concerned enough about the chrome plating failing that I need to spend the extra cash. I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference and I would hazard to guess that they won't wear out before I do.;)

edit: I didn't see your post two posts ago. I think the average homebrewer would get the same service out of the forward sealing chrome plated perlicks as the more expensive SS.

Of course, I may be wrong.

I just received the chrome plated perlicks and shanks a couple days ago and finished the keezer build. I will say this these faucets and shanks are Awesome. For the homebrewer I honestly don't see the point of going stainless unless you have money to blow, which in this day and age is unlikely. Really happy so thank you CGVT for the advice and recommending Ritebrew.com!!!!!

Another quick question I have an empty 10lb nitrous bottle that I would like to use for a co2 tank. Ive done the research and the bottle is fine to use with Co2 but my question is what will I need to be able to connect it to a co2 manifold? adapter, or something else?

Back