Stopping in Birmingham Alabama

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
I'll be stopping in the city for a day and I'm looking for points of interest (AKA brewpubs).
I found a few places. Good People Brewing, Avondale Brewing and Cahaba brewing.
Has anyone tried any of them and what say you.:mug:
Bull

I've tried Avondale and Good People. Good People has MUCH better beer, but Avondale has a BBQ place right next door. Haven't been to Cahaba yet.

I really like the beer at Avondale over Good People. Avondale Battlefield IPA is great. Cahaba is just getting started and their beer is very good also. Be advised that all 3 of these breweries are on the side of town where caution must be used after dark. Birmingham didn't get chosen by the TV show 'The First 48' for nothing.

When I am in Beermingham I like to go to a pizza place called Slice. They always have agood selection of local beers and their brick oven pizza is pretty tasty, too.

http://www.slicebirmingham.com/

BTW, I like Good People better than Avondale. I don't care for the Battlefield IPA at all. (only had it once at the brewery and it was really green)

When I am in Beermingham I like to go to a pizza place called Slice. They always have agood selection of local beers and their brick oven pizza is pretty tasty, too.

http://www.slicebirmingham.com/

BTW, I like Good People better than Avondale. I don't care for the Battlefield IPA at all. (only had it once at the brewery and it was really green)

What a cool place! I have never been there, but I will defintiely change that.

Good people is a good place, and I've heard good good things about Avondale. The best beer bar in town in The J Clyde. There is no such thing as a brew put in the state of Alabama but there are tap rooms at the breweries in town.

I want to second the J Clyde. Outstanding selection, beer-savvy servers, and it's the home base for Free the Hops, the outfit working to change archaic beer laws in the state.

-Rich

A restaurant you need to try if you can make it to Alabaster is Joe's Italian. Honestly the best Italian to be found. Wonderful wine selection and there was an ok beer selection by the time I quit working there. It's run by a Sicilian couple and their children.

Be advised that all 3 of these breweries are on the side of town where caution must be used after dark. Birmingham didn't get chosen by the TV show 'The First 48' for nothing.
:(
I wonder if I should just push on to Montgmery? I will be traveling with my family.

If you want to sample Alabama beers and get a good lunch I highly recommend that you stop at Slice. I don't go to Birmingham very often, but when I do, I go there. They have a very good selection of Alabama beers. They have on tap only Alabama craft brews in many different styles from a variety of breweries.

Back