Anyone try BRY-97 yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for advice. I pitched the BRY-97 about 14 hours ago and so far no activity. NONE. I rehydrated but maybe to 100° and all of the cells burst. I could have killed it.

Should I re-pitch? And if so, just dry pitch? I would hate to lose this beautiful batch of Black IPA. It's begging to ferment.

Thanks
Brad

Sent from the toilet

Sounds normal to me. Most of my direct pitch beers started to show krausen at 24-36 hours at 68 degrees. This yeast is incredibly slow to start with cooler ferments. I pitched a split batch at 62 degrees, Notty went into the other half. The Notty was almost complete with fermentation before the BRY-97 had formed a complete layer of krausen over the wort. I did allow it to warm some once the Notty was winding down. This was an offshoot of BM's Centennial Blonde at 1.040 even. I also pitched once at 52-55 degrees by accident. The yeast remained dormant for several days before I realized my error and turned up the temperature on my fermentation chest. The yeast woke up and finished cleanly at 68 degrees. My recommendation is to ferment no lower than ~65 degrees and NB says it stays clean up to 78 degrees. I would aim for 68-72 degrees.

In short, don't worry about it (yet). This yeast is notorious for slow starts but it is my favorite dry ale yeast currently. I've used it for pretty much every American style that I make and like the profile that it gives.

It just looks like a FLAT beer right now. It's shocking compared to other yeasts I've used and using starters. I'm at 66°.

If I picked up a second pack to sprinkle in dry, would I risk dramatically "off" flavors?

Sent from the toilet

I'd let it ride for at least 36 hours with this yeast. You'll have to trust your sanitation a bit with this yeast. I personally think the flavor and crispness of this yeast are worth the delayed fermentation. I have repitched this yeast after washing and it took off right away. I'm guessing that it is a bit slower to reproduce than the other Chico strains.

+1 to all pvtschultz is saying.

I've used this yeast a lot. It is also my "go to" yeast for most American ales. And it is extremely slow starting with very little activity in the fermenter compared to other yeast strains. Read back through this thread and you'll see this as a common issue raised by first-time users.

My only concern is that rehydrating it at 100F may have been a bit too warm. I usually rehydrate at 85-95F which is what Danstar recommends. (see http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/bry-97-american-west-coast-beer-yeast ) However, I doubt 100F was enough to kill the yeast.

I'd wait another 24 hours at least to see if a krausen layer is forming. If it still looks completely flat it would probably be safe to pitch another packet dry.

BTW, what was the OG of the beer you are making?

Cheers!

I think you should pitch a second packet right now. Anything over 1.055-1.060 should get 2 packets from the outset.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looking for advice. I pitched the BRY-97 about 14 hours ago and so far no activity. NONE. I rehydrated but maybe to 100° and all of the cells burst. I could have killed it.

Should I re-pitch? And if so, just dry pitch? I would hate to lose this beautiful batch of Black IPA. It's begging to ferment.

Thanks
Brad

Sent from the toilet

I just started fermenting with this yeast for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I experienced the same issue you did! Here is my post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/danstar-bry-97-not-fermenting-473437/

I waited 36-hours and there was absolutely no activity and specific gravity hasn't budged from the original gravity. I did however get it going quickly soon after stirring the heck out of the wort using a long, sanitized ladle.

Give that a try and let us know how it goes!

I pitched again today, and stirred like hell. This is extremely frustrating yeast.

Sent from the toilet

I just started fermenting with this yeast for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I experienced the same issue you did! Here is my post:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/danstar-bry-97-not-fermenting-473437/

I waited 36-hours and there was absolutely no activity and specific gravity hasn't budged from the original gravity. I did however get it going quickly soon after stirring the heck out of the wort using a long, sanitized ladle.

Give that a try and let us know how it goes!

What type of fermentation/krausen did you experience? Will a simple airlock do, or should I put a blowoff hose on it? I would hate to be at work when it decides to get goin' and come with a mess.

Thanks, Brad

Sent from the toilet

What type of fermentation/krausen did you experience? Will a simple airlock do, or should I put a blowoff hose on it? I would hate to be at work when it decides to get goin' and come with a mess.

I doubt you'll ever need a blow-off with BRY-97 unless you are fermenting it too warm.

1 packet most beers - 2 packets over 1.060
rehydrate at 85-95F - ferment 66-68F

Relax and have patience. This is a good yeast but it doesn't behave like others. It gets the job done very quietly.

I used this yeast to brew a 5 gallon SMaSH IPA. OG- 1.05. Rehydrated @ 95F. Using 6.5 gal glass carboy @ 70F. Started bubbling after 20 hours. I was nervous at first, but she came through in the end.

Thanks, Brad

Sent from the toilet

It fermented quickly but had a small krausen in my bucket while fermenting in the mid 60s. I used a simple airlock and I was fine. I don't think you'll need a blowoff hose.

IS THIS PROGRESS?? I pitched at 1PM Tuesday, and again Wednesday 11AM. It had been a flat, black head. No bubbles at all. Is this an actual Krausen, or deadly mold?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400157483.980417.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400157496.324332.jpg

Thanks,
Brad

Sent from the toilet

I'm at 65° by the way, so I don't expect this to blow up quickly.

Sent from the toilet

IS THIS PROGRESS?? I pitched at 1PM Tuesday, and again Wednesday 11AM. It had been a flat, black head. No bubbles at all. Is this an actual Krausen, or deadly mold?

View attachment 199571

View attachment 199572

Thanks,
Brad

Sent from the toilet

That's exactly what mine looked like. Very flat with a very small krausen. I thought it was mold at first as well bit it wasn't.

Can you keep posting pics as its fermenting?

Definitely will! This is nothing like the starters I'm usually doing, or the smack packs. I feel like it's 1850.

Sent from the toilet

Definitely will! This is nothing like the starters I'm usually doing, or the smack packs. I feel like it's 1850.

Sent from the toilet

Totally agree about this yeast. I started getting a bit worried about this batch. Btw, do you smell any sulfur coming out of the airlock? Mine smelled like rotten eggs and I got even more worried. But the odor faded away and it is now completely gone. I keg this batch on Sunday. :mug:

Let us know how it turns out. I have a packet of BRY-97 waiting to be tried out and I'm trying to find out what to expect. Unfortunately, everyone's just writing about the lag time and there are only a few posts about what the results taste like.

Totally agree about this yeast. I started getting a bit worried about this batch. Btw, do you smell any sulfur coming out of the airlock? Mine smelled like rotten eggs and I got even more worried. But the odor faded away and it is now completely gone. I keg this batch on Sunday. :mug:

No funky smells. Unfortunately, no CO2 odors either.

Sent from the toilet

Let us know how it turns out. I have a packet of BRY-97 waiting to be tried out and I'm trying to find out what to expect. Unfortunately, everyone's just writing about the lag time and there are only a few posts about what the results taste like.

I'll happily report on taste. Check back in about 9.5 weeks.

Sent from the toilet

72 hours later, we have activity. Wow. Talk about slow. It's is a pretty, clean krausen forming though.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400194210.079017.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400194230.211246.jpg

Sent from the toilet

I would top crop some of that yeast for later use. I had a slow start also from a dry pack. Made a starter from some top cropped yeast that was 6-7 months old and it took off in 6 hrs.

I said I'd never do it... but I bought and plan to use another sachet of BRY-97. I think I'll do an exBEERiment with it, which I'll then post and shamelessly self promote on my blog (www.brulosophy.com).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Picked up a bunch of expired packets of this from Ritebrew last month. I tried it in a porter. Works pretty well, but attenuation wasn't quite where I wanted it. Came in at about 70% apparent attenuation on a 1.044 wort mashed at 151F.

Not sure if it's the yeast, because it's old, or my wort. The packet was Best By at the end of April. I rehydrated it using the manufacturers method. The beer was pretty solid. I'd use it again.

Finally, after nearly four days, it looks like beer being made. This one really tested my patience. What 90 hours in looks like:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400239197.881104.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400239212.348155.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400239225.361197.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400239238.444624.jpg

I was so excited to smell that CO2 when I opened the freezer this morning.

Now, how long do I let this one go for? 2 weeks?

Sent from the toilet

Finally, after nearly four days, it looks like beer being made. This one really tested my patience. What 90 hours in looks like:

View attachment 199734

View attachment 199735

View attachment 199736

View attachment 199737

I was so excited to smell that CO2 when I opened the freezer this morning.

Now, how long do I let this one go for? 2 weeks?

Sent from the toilet

Until it's done. That yeast is a quick fermenter once it gets going, fully attenuated an APA of mine in 2 days... but it took 3 days to show any signs of activity. It was kegged about 10 days after pitch.

This is an IPA I'll secondary and dry hop. How many days before you think I should make that move? I love this place. Such helpful people. I've only been brewing for like 4 months.

Thanks

Sent from the toilet

104 hours in and it looks and smells so good. This yeast definitely tests your patience, but it looks like it's going to prove worth it.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400291101.224729.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400291119.393366.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400291140.391093.jpg

Sent from the toilet

You need not secondary just to dry hop. Once fermentation is complete, you can do so in the primary and save yourself a step.

I'm a novice brewer. Why do you say no secondary? Some are one side of the fence, some on the other.

/Will always still be figuring it out/

I'm a novice brewer. Why do you say no secondary? Some are one side of the fence, some on the other.

Transferring to secondary increases your chances of contamination and oxidation. It's not really necessary. I leave most of my beers in primary for three weeks, then bottle or keg. Comes out clean and clear every time.

Transferring to secondary increases your chances of contamination and oxidation.

The fear of oxidizing one's beer when racking from a primary fermentation vessel to a secondary fermentation vessel is unfounded. There is a greater chance of ice cubes forming in Hades then there is of oxidation occurring when green beer is racked from a primary fermentation vessel to a secondary fermentation vessel in a home brewery setting. The minimal amount of oxygen that is picked up during the transfer is rapidly consumed by suspended yeast cells. Oxidation is only a serious threat after beer has been filtered. Brewers bottle bottle-conditioned beer in non-purged bottles on a regular basis without significant oxidation occurring.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool cultured yeast brewer (I plate and slant almost all of the yeast that I use), but I love dry BRY 97. Dry BRY 97 may test one's patience, but it produces a great beer. Unlike BRY 96 (a.k.a. "Chico," 1506, WLP001, US-05), BRY 97 is a yeast strain that requires an acclimation period before it performs at its best. The first repitch is better than the initial pitch. By the second or third repitch, BRY 97 is firing on all cylinders.

Second or third re-pitch?? What the hell are you brewing?? :)

/Will always still be figuring it out/

As a yeast rancher, I tend propagate yeast from slant most of the time. However, I crop over the summer due to the high level of airborne microflora. I like BRY 97 a lot more than BRY 96. BRY 96 (a.k.a. Chico, 1056, WLP001, US-05) is the tofu of yeast strains. :)

Contrary data point: in reading many of the posts on this thread, I was expecting a lag phase of 36-48 hours. I didn't see many (if any) quick starts on this yeast. That said, I have 2 batches that were pitched at 3:30 AM on Saturday morning, and by 3:00 Saturday afternoon, I had Krausen. It caught me by surprise. The only reason I even checked was because I was checking the gravity of a hard cider I'm brewing. I quickly affixed a blowoff to my 5 gallon carboy due to minimal headspace, and was thankful. Both started at the same time, and look to finish at the same time. Granted, both brews are sessions, weighing in at 1.042 each.

If they turn out decent, I may have to pick a few more of these packets up for future brews.

It is just about the ugliest start to fermentation ever. The yeast stratified at the bottom, then rose to the top in a diarrhea like clump. Then the whole thing fell apart and is now swirling around in the fermentor like a flushed toilet after a night of heavy drinking after a chili cook-off. Happily, it doesn't smell that way. ;-)

Back