Flaked grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
An new ti using flaked grains ie. wheat and oats and I have two questions..... First do I need to run them through my mill like I would my normal grain bill? And second with the oats do they need to be boiled before adding to the mash ? I keep readin about gelatinized oats. The oats I am using are from Crosby and baker and are just called flaked oats. Thanks.

image-1504064731.jpg

No need to run them through the mill and no need to boil them... Flaked grains have been gelatinized by the flaking process. They should be mashed though and not just steeped.

If what my lhbs told me is true, and I generally believe him, then no to both. At least that's how use it.

If you look close they have already been milled. They don't grow like that.

I'm not sure about the second question but when I used them I just threw them in.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I have done it my way with success. I would glad hear what others have to say.

You don't need to mill them, but it won't hurt either way. I usually do because I make weigh all my grains in my basement and then carry them in a bucket to the mill in the garage. So, I just dump them in the bucket and they get milled. The flaked oats do not need to be boiled first, just put them in the mash tun with your regular grist. They are the same as the instant oats you buy at your local grocer. If you bought regular oat meal (not instant), then you would need to do more work. Also, you may want to invest in some rice hulls (they are really cheap), and put them in the mash too. The mash will get pretty gummy with the oats and you might get a stuck sparge without them.

JLem said:
No need to run them through the mill and no need to boil them... Flaked grains have been gelatinized by the flaking process. They should be mashed though and not just steeped.

How would an extract brewer mash them? I do steeping grains with extract, never mashed before.

tom_gamer said:
How would an extract brewer mash them? I do steeping grains with extract, never mashed before.

You would need to do a partial mash with some base malts to convert them. At least I believe that's how you would do it. I never did partials I went from extract straight to all Grain after a few batches. So for example 2 lbs of 2 row pale 8 oz flaked oats 2 lbs flaked wheat. Mash at 152 degrees for an hour in 7 qts of water. Sparge and collect 3.5 gallons wort. Add your dme or lme Boil and add hops as normal cool than top to 5 gallons.

There are good instructions for how to use these in the Brewer's Best Witbier kit (http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1051_Witbier w steep to convert.pdf). They call the technique "steep to convert".

1. Determine water volume
For every 2 lbs. of grain included in this recipe pour 1 gallon
of water into the brew pot (e.g. if 1.5 lb. of grain are
included, begin with 3/4 gallons of water).
2. Steep-To-Convert
Pour the crushed grains into the grain bag and tie a loose
knot at the top of the bag. Raise the temperature of the
water to 155ºF. Place the grain bag into the brew pot. As
the grains begin to soak, the water temperature will drop.
Carefully monitor the temperature and when it drops below
150ºF add just enough heat to bring the steep water
to a range between 148ºF - 152ºF, do not exceed 155ºF.
Steep the grains for 45 minutes. Remove the grain bag
and without squeezing, allow the liquid to drain back into
brew pot.
3. Rinse (optional)
Pour approximately 150ºF clean water over the bag allowing
the grains to be rinsed back into the liquid wort.
4. Add water
Add enough warm water to your wort to bring the volume
to 2.5 gallons.

Use one pound of two-row or six-row (base malt) per pound of other grains. So, for two pounds of flaked grains, use two pounds of base malt. Crush the basemalt.

Put all of the grains in a grain bag, and add to 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain- in this case 6 quarts of water total- when the water is 165 degrees. Smoosh it around, dunking and getting the grains thoroughly wetted. Stir some more, and then again. Check the temperature, and keep it at 150-158 degrees for an hour. If it gets cooler, add a bit of boiling water or turn on the heat if it's in a pot. After the hour, lift up the grainbag over your brewpot (it's easiest in a strainer/colander over the pot) and pour 170 degree water over the grainbag, up to your boil volume. That's it! It's really just like steeping in most ways, so it's really nothing new at all.

You can do ANY beer this way- even cream ales with flaked corn, and use flaked rice for other beers. It only takes a few minutes longer and it makes a wonderful beer. It's worth it!

Flaked grains have no convertibles and are used for body/texture/retention etc. They must be mashed with a base malt to pull out the proteins from the flaked wheats. As stated, do a partial mash.

(boy do I have a different procedure for making a partial mash than you guys lol... Different strokes!)

AdamPag said:
Flaked grains have no convertibles and are used for body/texture/retention etc. They must be mashed with a base malt to pull out the proteins from the flaked wheats. As stated, do a partial mash.

(boy do I have a different procedure for making a partial mash than you guys lol... Different strokes!)

Not sure what you mean by flaked grains not having any "convertibles". If you mash them with malted grains you will get conversion. The flaked grains do not have the necessary enzymes to convert anything (because they're unmalted), but they have plenty of starch that can be converted into sugars.

Thats what I meant, they cant be converted alone (hence needing a base), but I was always under the impression that we're more so using gelatinized grains for the proteins and not for fermentables

Thats what I meant, they cant be converted alone (hence needing a base), but I was always under the impression that we're more so using gelatinized grains for the proteins and not for fermentables

No, because they do impart different characteristics. Oats give a smooth "silky" even creamy mouthfeel, in addition to fermentables when mashed. Oats actually don't do much at all for head (and in large amounts can interfere with head retention due to the oiliness) but make such a silky smooth beer that they are often used in beers like stouts. Flaked wheat gives great head retention, due to the protein content. But you get fermentables out of them as well, when mashed.

Does anyone wanna guess what beer I made today ? I'll give you a hint only 8oz for the flaked oats 2.25lbs flaked wheat 2.25 lbs white malted wheat , 5.13 lbs Belgian pilsner. Should be relatively easy ti guess there are other spices but that would def give it away.

Back