hops garden ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerman6

Reaction score
my hops is finally up and growing .i have made a trellis out of baling twine and they are starting to climb up.here is my ? , at the point were the hops vines hits the twine they are a different shade of green and they have some holes in the leafs.is this from the twine or from a bug.they are first year hops.if it is bugs what do i use to get rid off them with?

Unless the damage is devastating I'd leave them alone. In my experience hops are like weeds and will do fine even with a little insect damage. The Lady bugs like to hang out in mine and probably help keep the pests in check...

New leaves tend to be a lighter green than older ones and a few bugs/holes aren't a problem.

Lady bugs are good at controlling aphids, to which some varities of hops are susceptible.

Lady bugs like dill plants, so those of you growing hops might want to plant some dill somewhere nearby and let them flower.

Uh-HEH-Heh--He said "dill plants"
Just kidding-Now an even better thing to do with the absent space nearthe hop plants-A Herb garden.
I made raised hop beds here,I used 30" black corogated road drain pipe which I cut at about 16"high-filled with a good mixture of potting mix,top dressing and golf greens repair mix--all obtained from a peat/dirt mixing plant next to where I work-stuff is over-run that comes out of the conveyor/shaker system--We get it fo-free. Shane

First year for these: A deer chewed on one of mine, took 2 leaves, and I've got loads of bugholes but my hallertauer already have flowers on them and are almost 10' tall. I accidentally hit my fuggles with a weed whacker, it came back. Don't worry, relax. etc etc. Put some horse doo around them if you have some or can get some. It helps a lot.

Isn't the horse doo a little too acidic ? I mean for younger plants..... Is the doo aged prior ? I know a bunch that use the stuff for other plantings but if I'm correct-this years doo-next years garden(I believe the stuff needs to break down a bit)No ?? I've a close friend that raises pigs during the summer-Now that's some great fertilizer-What stuff to use on tomatos. Gotta run....Shane

Yeah, tomatoes, that's the ticket...

You're right. The manure is too 'hot' until it composts some. Whacks off the PH as it breaks down. You can get nutrient lock out on your hops or your .... 'tomatoes'. Let it mellow some.

I don't put the doo directly on the plants, I put it around them so the nutrients leech into the soil, so far so good. I live around the amish in missouri and I just go shovel it up off the street or out of the hardware store parking lot. You wouldn't believe how much doodoo horses leave around. A friend of mine has some aged doo, I am going to try that next time. FWIW, the new doo I mixed 50/50 with soil, added water till it was like wet cement, and then put that around the hops about 6" away in a ring. Seemed to do fine.

Back