Can I Mash 13 lbs. in my 5 gal Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancidcrabtree

Reaction score
It's the cylindrical Rubbermaid with a valve kit and stainless braid. Anyone ever go up to 13+ lbs. on these things?

I regularly mash 6kg in a 18 liter mash tun (which is pretty close to that). I drop to 2.3l/kg (1.1qt/lbs I believe).

Lots of sparging required...

I mash in a 5 gallon kettle for now and I've pushed the limit with 13.31 lbs with a thickness of 1.23. Won't be doing it again though.

Like others have said, by decressing the water to grain ratio a bit you can do it. I've done 14 pounds. Use the greenbay rackers calculator to figure out how much to squeeze in there.

1# grain + 1 qt water - 1.32 qt, so 13# grain at 1 qt/lb = 4.29 gallons.
I've done 13.5# at 1 qt/lb, and had a couple inches free space at the top.

-a.

Thank-you everybody for all of the replies, was at work so I just got to read them all now! I think I'll go with 1.1 quarts per pound, that wont be too thick (hopefully) and should leave me some wiggle room on top. At least I don't have to worry about a false bottom taking up any of my free space... maybe I'll take some pics on Friday and update.

13 lbs 13 oz (EdWort's Robust Porter) in a 5 gal cooler with a false bottom. 1 qt/pound water.

DSC00288.jpg

Back