Liberty Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoSheaStl

Reaction score
I recently bought the Liberty Cream Ale kit from Midwest Supplies. I'm eager to brew it, however, I DO NOT have means to lager. I will most likely be fermenting at around 70 degrees using a Yeast Starter of either WLP001 or WL1056 Yeast. I will be applying a secondary fermentation, also.

1.) Will brewing at 70 degrees with Lager Yeast ultimately result in a California Common type beer (Steam Beer)? If so, that's fine with me.

2.) Any recommended Yeast Strains?

3.) Any recommended additions to my secondary fermentation?

-Shea

Hey Shea,
I think the wlp001 would be a good idea, given your fermenting capabilities, since it is optimal at 68-73 deg. Also, Have you considered wlp051? I think it might work really well for your scenario. There is also a cream ale yeast from white labs, wlp080, which is optimal 65 - 70 deg and might be great for your brew.

-Cheers

1) Lager yeast (neither you have listed are lagers) at 70° would result in excessive esters, phenolics, and fusel alcohols from a stressed yeast. California commons are fermented with a specific strain of lager yeast accustomed to fermenting at 60°.
2) 1056, WLP001, or Safale US-05 are all good. And as mentioned above, ferment in the low to mid sixties.
3) Why secondary? Just primary for three to four weeks.

Thanks for the responses! The wlp080 sounds good. I think I may try that.

So, the kit comes with 1 oz. Cascade bittering hops, as well as 1 oz Cascade aroma hops. Is it weird to use Cascade for both bittering and aroma?

I've read a lot about people using Saaz hops in their cream ale with great results. I might like to try that.

Suggestions, anyone?

-Shea

I use Cascade for a lot of my beers just because I can buy them cheap in bulk and I like their flavor. My latest cream ale I made with all Hallertauer because I had a stockpile of them that I had to use up. If you don't like Cascades, use something else. The BJCP style guide says something like "little hop flavor, little malt flavor..." so I guess you could probably use anything as long as it doesn't add too much flavor.

(Unless you're me and then you throw in an extra ounce just because you can at flameout and contemplate dry hopping it!)

Latest posts

Back