Too much *#!%ing snow to brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
My AG equipment will be here from Northern Brewer any day now, but there's too d*mn much snow to brew. My turkey fryer area (deck in back yard is buried halfway up the patio table and it's still coming down. Jeez! You'd think I lived in Wisconsin or some godforsaken place.

What? Er, oh yeah. I do live in Wisconsin. I guess there's a reason we have a reputation for consuming so much beer and brandy.

greenhornet said:
haha we had a record high of 90 the other day!
You're cruel. Snow, cold and stiff, blowing winds here. I'm hoping it dies down before tomorrow, when I plan to brew.

But be warned, I have seriously considered moving to Corpus when I retire!

I know what you mean, personally when I can't stand it anymore I get out a shovel and dig a trench from my door to my brew area. The plus side is it's a great wind screen! :D

Yeah, funny, me too... I was going to do my very first AG batch today, but too much snow and ice and arse-cold weather... Supposed to have some Chinook winds this weekend, though, so maybe I'll use some Chinook hops to go with.

bradsul said:
I know what you mean, personally when I can't stand it anymore I get out a shovel and dig a trench from my door to my brew area. The plus side is it's a great wind screen! :D

not to mention the free snow bank wort chillers! :D

I remember weather like that as a kid in northern Illinois. Trying to shovel the sidewalk when I had to throw it over my head to clear the drifts.

What a bunch of p*ssies..........:D If I can brew AG outside when it's -13 you wimps can brew in a little snow.........

greenhornet said:
haha we had a record high of 90 the other day!
I'll take my 20 inches of snow on the ground and 30 degree temperatures. I know I'm crazy. My perfect world is snow and in the upper 20s Mid Nov - end of Feb. Then lower to middle 70s, a light breeze, and partly cloudy skies the rest of the year. Although I'd take hot and humid for a day if I was promised some good severe thunderstorms late in that day. Of course I need rain other than that, I'll take that in the during the overnight.

I'll stop my perfect world rambling now and have some homebrew b/c it's Friday. Or maybe me and SWMBO should head out for some FISH FRY tonight!

yeah i like the cold (sometimes....or at least I say I do) bc you can always get warmer....put on another sweater, build a bigger fire....

with the heat though there is only so much you can do before you just roasting..

I say all this but the fact is i've never even seen snow!

greenhornet said:
yeah i like the cold (sometimes....or at least I say I do) bc you can always get warmer....put on another sweater, build a bigger fire....

with the heat though there is only so much you can do before you just roasting..

I say all this but the fact is i've never even seen snow!

Come up for a visit- we have plenty!!:mug:

mmditter said:
My AG equipment will be here from Northern Brewer any day now, but there's too d*mn much snow to brew. My turkey fryer area (deck in back yard is buried halfway up the patio table and it's still coming down. Jeez! You'd think I lived in Wisconsin or some godforsaken place.

What? Er, oh yeah. I do live in Wisconsin. I guess there's a reason we have a reputation for consuming so much beer and brandy.

You dont have a garage? leave the main door cracked open a bit and go to town.

**EDIT**
I have to work tomarrow but if ya want you can use my garage, if the SWMBO gives ya **** tell her to get back inside, the garage is "Man's Domain"

+1 for brewing in the garage.

I love brewing during a cold winter. I don't do any of it in the snowbank though. Nothing like spending the winter brewing, skiing and snowboarding. I love it.

Pumbaa said:
You dont have a garage? leave the main door cracked open a bit and go to town.

I do have a garage, but no garage door! Plus, there's so much snow in my back yard I'd never find the hose to hook up to my wort chiller. I suppose, though, that if this sh*t doesn't melt soon, I'll have no choice but to go out there anyway and face the music.

I brew inside, but I love when there's a ton of snow (like now-just got 19") so I can cool the wort in a snow bank...

MM if you were a real brewer you would put your boots on suck it up and brew some beer. With all that snow who needs a wort chiller:cross:

mmditter said:
It's not cold, there's just too much snow. It's basically piled up everywhere in my yard.

We are getting our share also. I'll have to shovel a path to my shed tomorrow so I can boil in relative comfort. Can't do it today as the storm system you guys had last week is affecting us today.

Must make a recipie for tomorrow

Really windy out here today. That usually means another blast of weather is heading your way...

so i guess i shouldnt tell everyone the temp in Hawaii right now then huh?!?!

mmditter said:
I do have a garage, but no garage door! Plus, there's so much snow in my back yard I'd never find the hose to hook up to my wort chiller. I suppose, though, that if this sh*t doesn't melt soon, I'll have no choice but to go out there anyway and face the music.

No gargae door = no worrys about ventalation

it's only like 29 today so put some of that snow to use. Keep the brew covered and burry it in the snow, dont need the chiller then :ban:

Pumbaa said:
No gargae door = no worrys about ventalation

it's only like 29 today so put some of that snow to use. Keep the brew covered and burry it in the snow, dont need the chiller then :ban:

Pumbaa, I've got a better idea-- how about you brew and I watch you while drinking large quantities of home brew. Do you think maybe I'm just really, really ready for spring to come.

mmditter said:
Pumbaa, I've got a better idea-- how about you brew and I watch you while drinking large quantities of home brew. Do you think maybe I'm just really, really ready for spring to come.

That works for me, I need some one to help get rid of my stockpile. After we're (I'm) done brwing though gonna need ya to help bottle 10 gallons of cider

Back