Brewers etiquette?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibrewer

Reaction score
Another question from a newbie...If I'm making recipes that I get from books or on-line do I get to give my beer it's own name or do I need to give props to the recipe's source?
I could tell my friends that they're drinking a wheat beer that I found in the Brewmaster's Bible, but it sounds much cooler to tell them that they're drinking the very first batch of Rockwell Summer Wheat.

Personally I do not name my beers as my own until I create the recipe. Generally I tell my friends the style of Beer. From what I have read in Ray Daniels Book "Designing Great Beers" Certain Malts, hops and Yeast are specific to specific BJCP Styles. I am in the beginning process of trying to develop my own recipes and may start naming them. Hope this helps and Welcome to the Obsession.:mug:

give it your own name - unless you brew it with their equipment....

the recipe is only one small part of creating a beer....

your own name - unless you are in business no beer will taste exactly the same. It's like a recipe in a cook book. Sure you followed it exactly but it's not like it is copyrighted or anything.

whether you like it or not the "original" recipe beer you brew has been done before by someone, some where at sometime. There are only a limited amount of variation as to style .Every beer brewed by different brewers will be different and its is therefore your beer. Now you can say it was x persons recipe but its your beer. You brewed it, you cared for it its your beer name it what you want

Name it without shame.

Hell...my mom gave me the recipe for her damn cookies years ago. They still come out of tha oven looking nothing like my mom's cookies.

that's a little iffier. but i think I would consider it fine, as long as you weren't competing against them.

I remember hearing on a podcast that Jamil hs been beat by his own recipes in competition and has no problems with brewer's calling it their own. As said, the recipe is only a small component to brewing the beer. Name it whatever you'd like, you brewed it.

I can see through those shorts LOL Like to see the front view! Then we can decide.

My wife is a grandma and wears smaller deals then those. Get out of the 1980's way to conservative for me!

that's a little iffier. but i think I would consider it fine, as long as you weren't competing against them.

Yeah that makes sense. That's always been a question i've had though. If you find a recipe on HBT that claims to have a won first place or even better, BIS, should you brew it and enter it? And if you do win anything, how could you consider it a win for yourself and not the person you got the recipe from?

Is it ok to look at like you're doing a research paper for college?? You know, put the recipe into your own words...Change the amount of hops used or something like that??

You made the beer, you name it.
Unless your overall goal is to hand out recipes to your friends and not pints.

I agree with springer. How many original "Czech Pilsners" can there be?

I can see through those shorts LOL Like to see the front view! Then we can decide.

My wife is a grandma and wears smaller deals then those. Get out of the 1980's way to conservative for me!

so is mine but she usually goes commando..... I will deny that I said that to the end if you tell her.

back on topic wasn't the 2008 longshot winner a Pliny clone ?

And if you do win anything, how could you consider it a win for yourself and not the person you got the recipe from?

Are you going to give credit to the person that helped you build your mash tun? This forum? The guy that taught you how to sparge? When does it end.

Are you going to give credit to the person that helped you build your mash tun? This forum? The guy that taught you how to sparge? When does it end.

Good point. It's just something I've always been curious about, thats all. I'm not trying to bash people who do that or anything just seeing what the general consensus is.

speaking of recipes, did you ever post your BOS recipe that you then helped brew at Papago?

Doh!

I swear, I will... after the GABF.
but essentially

Eau d' Eau d' Piore

Author: olllllo
Date: 2/7/2009
Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 77.46%
Attenuation: 81.0%

Original Gravity: 1.050 (1.000 - 1.100)
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (1.000 - 1.100)
Color: 3.27 (0.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 5.35% (0.0% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 10.6 (0.0 - 50.0)
Ingredients:
6 lb Wheat Malt
4 lb Belgian Pils
.25 oz Sorachi Ace (12.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1 WLP 075 French Ale
.3 Ounces Dried ElderFlowers added last 15 minutes of the boil
1.5 grams Grains of Paradise

40mL Pear extract added to keg per 5 gallon batch; match to taste.

Single Batch Infusion Target: 154.0 °F
Notes:
Mash thin 1.75 qts/lb
SRM will be much darker due to the long boil
Actual OG 1.053

WLP072

So what about entering someone elses recipe in a competition?? Fair game??

Sure, it's fine.

Did you make it out to the state fair this year? BOS winner was TheJadedDog's recipe...I tweaked it a little, but essentially his recipe. I came back and posted here giving him credit...it's like we both won! :mug:

I misread that as "My wife's grandma", and wasn't sure how I felt about that, let alone how you found out.

Back OT, I agree with the rest here that it is your beer to name.

Mine get served with the name of the style followed by what batch I am on. If I try three different APAs and the 3rd is the best, yet brewed from someone else's recipe I'll say "oh, that's my APA v3".

Most of my bozo friends don't even know APA is a style.

I always credit the recipe source. If I make a clone kit, I have no problem with people knowing that. It's the process that makes the product. Learned that back in my Pinewood Derby days. Everyone started with the same kit. Some people made fast cars, some people made beautiful ones. I always remember one absolutely fantastic car that didn't have working wheels!

Sort of like hopless, NA beer.

How often do you follow the recipe exactly anyway? I know I don't. Whether its ingredient availability or price, mistakes, or just because I want to.

I would bet that 90% of the time its really your recipe anyway.

I was just reading somewhere in a book I got from the library, a guy won one with an extract kit. Now I don't know about that, but he won anyway.

IMO, brewing is way more process than recipe. Most great recipes are simple. Mastering the brewing process is far from simple.

Back