Can i find out of season hops rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitsujsedohr

Reaction score
Hey I know it's late in the season but I really wanna plant some hops to run along my fence.

Does anyone know where I can get some rhizomes even though its not the beginning of the season?

If you know anyone who has hops in your area, you *could* snag a few shoots or roots. They are pretty hard to kill. I've laid a bine under about 1" of dirt and a few days later it was sprouting roots under each leaf. Each one of those locations will be a new plant. I'm planning on starting a few plants that way very soon. Too bad you did not live closer, you could come over and get some cuttings or dig up a bit of root.

Yeah, I'd post a request in classifieds or something in the hope that someone here might be both local and helpful to you. I doubt you will find them commercially, but even getting something started this late should help you along greatly for next year. Good luck!

Seeds work, but really not the fastest, best way to do it. I trimmed around my hops this weekend and DAMN are they getting bushy at the bottom! I seriously need to get rid of a bunch of the small ones growing out all over.

Now that I've grown then for 2 years I can see where I should plant 2 more locations.

Back