Fresh Outta of Gas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopheadNJ

Reaction score
So I had a mostly full 5lb tank of CO2 in my kegerator with a 5 gallons of my Biere De Garde carbin' up for about a week now. I've been really busy/away for the weekend and hadn't checked the brew until today. So I open the kegerator to connect the tap for a sample and I'm completely out of gas! I obviously have a leak somewhere because I haven't had enough kegs to kill this pretty fresh tank.

When I kegged the brew I purged O2 from it as I usually do, than the Keg sat for a few weeks in the closet. When I connected the gas last week everything seemed fine (ie heard no leaks!). Will this affect my beer? I'm thinking cause the o2 is already purged, it's no different than it being in the closet right?

....I just need a little HBT reassurance :cool:

I figured it's not carbed. Oh well, another week is going to be 3 weeks in the keg. Should be nice once its ready to go.

Leaks cannot be heard many times. Put some Star San in a spray bottle and spray your connections, that is the best way IMHO to find leaks.

you wouldn't have that problem with bottling. :cross: sorry had to cause of all the "you wouldn't have that problem with kegging" posts.

I have never heard a leak in my kegging system. Even the worst leaks required careful testing to find them.

on a serious note wherever you get your C02 from they should carry a product called "snoop". It's like soapy water but without the bubbles that soap makes, it only bubble when it comes across a leak. Pretty cheap and goes a long way.

Uh, yeah. I get mine at the dollar store..... it comes with a little purple wand and everything. My kids seem so attracted to it for some weird reason.....

Back