White Wheat v. Wheat Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer_duke

Reaction score
Could someone please explain to me the flavor / proflie difference between white wheat malt and just plain wheat malt. I'm thinking white wheat is for wits, etc; while wheat malt is for other wheat beers, but hmmm. Just a little clarification please. Thnx.

Good question. I'm waiting from the experts for enlightenment.

From the Briess website they do look pretty similar. Interesting that the white wheat is actually (a tiny bit) darker than the red.

I wish I could provide a reference, but I remember reading somewhere that red wheat has more protein than white wheat. I believe the article was talking about hefeweizen and other wheat beers that should be kind of cloudy. It said something about the extra protein in red wheat helping with that appearance.

I just read this in the past week or so, I'll see if I can find the article real quick

The LHBS I was at last night had both white wheat malt and the "standard" wheat malt, both by Briess. It gave me a good chance to taste both side by side. IMHO, the white wheat malt tasted a little sweeter and a little less "wheaty", which kind of makes sense since it has a little higher gravity potential. Also, even though there is a little higher lovibond to the white wheat, it appears lighter in color than the "standard" wheat malt which is made with red wheat. Here's an article I found talking about white wheat. It has a nice pic to compare red and white wheat. I would say, the difference I saw last night was not as noticeable, which may be attributable to the malting process or the different varieties pictured.

Back