Holy Schlitz!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
Wow! This stuff is good! Bought a six-pack today for $3.19. Figured I had to try the classic but wasn't expecting much. It's actually very good! I'll have to pick some more of this up when it gets hot, it would make a great lawnmower beer. Really smooth and slightly sweet, reminds me a bit of genessee. I'm very pleasantly surprised. Anyone else tried it?

schlitz-beer-posters.jpg

A lot of the early regional breweries from before AB and the other macroswill brewery takeovers made some really good products. It's actually nice to see that nostalgia and a hankering for something with a bit more flavor is ressurecting some of the recipes, like PBR and Schlitz.

I recently picked up some August Schell beers in my mixed sixers...Some damn good stuff.

beer_firebrick.jpg

Hopefully we'll be seeing some other old line beers resurface.

One of the pizza places downtown here is called Schlitz and Giggles. The pizza's nothing to write home about while you're sober, but it's right next to all the bars so when you come stumbling out at 2 in the morning it can taste pretty good. And as the name implies they serve lots of cheap Schlitz.

Some people are getting the recipe that began in the 70's and continued to this day.
Others are getting the retro recipe from the 50's (?)

I heard it was all malt, but I can't confirm.

I've had both and I can confirm that the retro recipe is better, maybe marginally so.

The stuff in the bottles in the old recipe from the 60's. The stuff in the cans is the recipe from 70's on. I like them both for different reasons. The old recipe is a little dryer with a little more hop pressence. I was fond of the can stuff before the new guy came around it was like PBR with a little more balence. Either way good stuff.

And no this isn't the malt liquor.

In the 70's they stopped using bottles. If you see bottled Schlitz, it is all grain, and it's a real beer. If you have a chance to taste one, it tastes like the beer you remember. I had one, and tasted it alongside the can, and it was really a superior beer. I like Schlitz and PBR and I will usually buy them over BMC for both price and taste. The renewed bottled Schlitz is only available in some test markets but is a welcome sign that they hope to be taken seriously again. There is a lot to read here Pabst Brings Back Schlitz The Beer Wench
and of course their own site http://schlitzgusto.com/home.asp

Somewhere in the family archives there is a picture from the late 50s/early 60s of my dad and his buddies up north during deer hunting season. They were at the cabin sitting around the table playing Sheepshead (for you non-cheeseheads, that's the best card game ever). The table was just littered with Schlitz bottles- there musta been three cases' worth scattered about. Cool pic.

You joking me? My store ran out at about 10:30am yesterday. Not the best time to run out of the best selling 12pack bottle in the store.

Look on the bright side! At least your state allows stores to sell alcohol on Sunday mornings!:drunk:

By the way, I'm having a schlitz right now straight out of the can. It's not nearly so good as when poured into a glass. I would never have guessed the difference was so big.

Back