New to Austin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jglucky

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be moving from Seattle to Austin next month and was was wondering if anyone could give me the scoop on the area. How is the beer scene, homebrew shops, water quality, hop freshness, etc?

Thanks!

Jyran

The beer scene is awesome. No shortage of breweries and craft beer bars. You have to wade through all the hipsters on the way to the bar, though.

Austin Homebrew Supply is the big HBS in town, but I know there's at least one other.

Cool glad to hear there is a scene. I will be moving to Avery Ranch area. Are there fresh hops available and how's the water quality?

The beer sucks almost as much as the food does. However traffic is usually a non issue...

Truthfully there is a thriving craft beer scene with some terrific beer available. Breweries like Jester King really help put Austin on the map. You will also find some really nice dining establishments in Austin, even if the food is prepared in a truck. You should check out Austin Home brews website. They will have anything you will need and a few things you didn't know you needed. Hops obviously won't be as fresh as you can purchase in Seattle but I have never had an issue with them. I can't help you with water quality.

Cool glad to hear there is a scene. I will be moving to Avery Ranch area. Are there fresh hops available and how's the water quality?
Fresh hops are hard to find. I know they're *called* Amarillo, but they aren't from around here. It gets a tad bit warm for hop plants. You can grow some, but the harvest comes early.
The 'other' HBS is in South Austin, and it's name is simply CoCo Homebrew. recently opened on South Congress avenue, the little store is coming on strong with a good inventory on site.
Our water supply is pretty rough. So high in Calcium you'll make killer stouts.

We have a saying in Texas that Austin is 60 square miles surrounded by reality. But since you are from Seattle you will likely fit right in.

Loved the quip about the traffic. ;-)

Back