Czech Premium Pale Lager Fat Czech Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Saflager S-23 (2 pcks)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 56
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
90 @ 33
Tasting Notes
well balanced
9.5 # Weyermann Pilsner
1.0 # Cara-Pils
0.25 # Caramunich
0.5 # rice hulls

2 oz Saaz (70 mins)
1 oz Saaz (45 mins)
1 oz Saaz (15 mins)

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (10 mins)

20 mins @ 122
60 mins @ 154
10 mins @ 170

Higher than normal fermentation temperature in order to combat the reputed fruitiness of this yeast. No fruitiness is detected in the finished beer. Next time I would use a more flocculant yeast or filter--beer has not yet cleared completely.

**Silver Medal, 2012 CowtownYeast Wranglers Homebrew Roundup

Czech Pils.jpg

That's funny; I haven't had one of these beers for awhile but cracked it last night. Is crystal clear now at just above freezing.

The "secondary" period was just long term storage; a few weeks in the carboy, then to a keg, then to bottles.

Next time I make a Czech Pil (might be right away), I won't use the rice hulls (got my mill set correctly now), and would likely use a very thin mash with a number of decoctions (read the chapter on Pilsners in "Designing Great Beers").

Forgot to say, I would also try going cold on the fermentation. I had read a lot about s-23 being excessively fruity at low temps so I went pretty high. For curiosity's sake I might go as cold as possible (46 or so) next time--see what happens.

I'll give it a try, but Not really into the fruity.. My favorite is Hefeweizen which is a chore to brew without so much banana coming through.. So i start out pretty warm ( 73-74 ) then crash down to 66-68 had pretty good luck.. a little banana came through then the clove takes over.. pretty can't wait for it to fully carb up..

Recipe looks like a bohemian pilsener to me.

I love these beers. They are so refreshing, simple and enjoyable. Ok, I admit I'm drinking one right now.

That touch of munich is what mine needed. I make one that is too light.

Recipe looks like a bohemian pilsener to me.

I love these beers. They are so refreshing, simple and enjoyable. Ok, I admit I'm drinking one right now.

That touch of munich is what mine needed. I make one that is too light.

Definitely supposed to be a Bohemian pilsner. I think I could pretty happily make nothing but 1D, 2B, 4C, 5C for the rest of my brewing days.

Just got the ingredients for this one! Will report back results in a few months.

Those cheerios are GMO…. just sayin' Congrats on your nice beer

I'm planning on brewing this recipe this weekend, so thanks for the recipe. What was your water profile?

Hey sorry I missed your question; I have not been on the forum in a long while. My water profile for pilsners is always very soft; RO water with perhaps a bit of calcium chloride.

brewed this biab following recipie. omitted the rice and added .25 lbs. acid malt for ph control. Used 34/70 slurry from a batch of centennial blonde made 2 weeks earlier. I followed the brulosophy fermentation and carbonation method and this beer is really good at day 15. I'm sure this will be an amazing beer in a couple of weeks more. My wife (who is Czech) gave this a 9.5 out of 10. Thanks for a great recipie :tank:

This is my go-to pilsner recipe. I don't sweat the details except the temps. NYC water, whichever versions of the grain bill the LHBS has, Bohemian Pilsner yeast. I start the fermentation at 45 and bring it up to 50 a day at a time and leave it there until finished. D-rest even if it doesn't need it. Cold crash in the keg and put it on CO2 for 2 weeks before I taste. I keep tasting until it is gone. ;)

I have it in my keg right now, but I'm almost done with it. I have to try harder to finish this.

This recipe looks pretty good! The first posts were kind of fun to read because I was thinking, keep it a little longer and a little cooler..it will be great. We omit the Caramunich and go Carahell, Bo-Pils, Floor-malted Pils and a lager yeast for 6 weeks. Temp and CZ Saaz hops make a decent little Pils at the brewery. It's truly one of the most refreshing and food-friendly styles for sure!!
I'm going to give this one a try and see how it compares.

Back