Think I found out why my IPA tasted a little funny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klickmania

Reaction score
I tasted my first all grain batch (a IPA with some toasted two row and dry hopped with cascade and centennial ) yesterday and thought it was a little off. I've brewed this as a partial mash before and this time it was a lot more bitter then it should have been. Upon opening the keg to retrieve my hop bag I noticed a nice layer of ice chunks on the top of my beer. Come to find out its pretty much 1/3 frozen. I'm letting it warm up inside for a few hours so hopefully everything will work out.

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I expect with the freezing and thawing of it?

image-1690783836.jpg

image-2122545736.jpg

Yes it has happened to me. Just let it thaw, no worries. It may take a few days to get the carbonation back in line but it'll be fine. This was happening to a few of my brews so I turned up the temp on my keggerator, no problems since

Alright I figured it would be ok. Guess I'm just a little mad at myself lol. I put my fridge as cold as it would go when it was carbing up and it usually stays around 37-40 degrees. I guess I didn't take in to account that its been getting "down" to the mid twenties this past week.

A buddy accidentally freeze concentrated a Pilsner. The keg was too cold (it was only this one out of the four too) and when the keg cashed and we opened it up there was ice all along the outside from about half way down. Still tasted good.

A buddy accidentally freeze concentrated a Pilsner. The keg was too cold (it was only this one out of the four too) and when the keg cashed and we opened it up there was ice all along the outside from about half way down. Still tasted good.

Imperial pilsner! Freeze concentrate style!

Ice House IPA. When it thaws if you have pulled much off of it know that what remains will be watered down about as much as what was consumed was concentrated.

Back