Looking for a cheap decent tasting beer to make in bulk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Hi all,

After spending a few bucks on buying beer equipment Im now making a "Badger Dark Ale" beer. Looks great. Its in the secondary carboy waiting for 2 weeks.

I red a website which states that you can eventually brew beer for around 3 bucks a gallon. I understand I should be able to buy bulk and save on some money.

Although I don't fully understand how to pre-mash yet. I have a grinder for grains.:confused:

I checked on Mid-West brewing supplies but there are so many different variations im not sure what one to pick for a decent amber or pail ale? Or a beer with a decent alcohol volume....

AAre there any cheap combinations or places I can buy in bulk? :tank:

britishbloke said:
Hi all,

After spending a few bucks on buying beer equipment Im now making a "Badger Dark Ale" beer. Looks great. Its in the secondary carboy waiting for 2 weeks.

I red a website which states that you can eventually brew beer for around 3 bucks a gallon. I understand I should be able to buy bulk and save on some money.

Although I don't fully understand how to pre-mash yet. I have a grinder for grains.:confused:

I checked on Mid-West brewing supplies but there are so many different variations im not sure what one to pick for a decent amber or pail ale? Or a beer with a decent alcohol volume....

AAre there any cheap combinations or places I can buy in bulk? :tank:

I think the only way you'll get down to $15 a batch ($3 a gallon) is to scrounge equipment, or brew all grain buying in bulk.

If you bought a 50lb sack of 2row locally, that would do say 5 decent pale ales. Say you could find that sack for $25, that's $5 a brew. Add in a few bucks for some crystal malt, a few bucks for some hops, and some harvested yeast and you could probably do a decent pale ale for round $10 a batch. Granted to do all grain with bulk unmilled malt, you'd need a mill, mash tun, propane burner and wort chiller. But if you ignore the capital investment it's cheap :)

A little like the biodiesel folks saying you can make biodiesel for 87 cents a gallon, IF you get the yellow grease free, IF you believe your time and labor has no value, IF you ignore the $3-10 grand you spent on equipment, IF you ignore the amount of fuel burned collecting said grease, processing said grease, ...

If you're in this for cheap beer, you are in for disappointment.

to make a good beer you need to spend money . I bought my LME in bulk and save my yeast and still spend about another $15- $20 per batch . . But it's better then any beer I could by for that price

Some random money saving tips- Smaller beers are cheaper than hop bombs and Barleywine. I'm thinking I can make Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale for $15-20 tomorrow. Dry yeast is often cheaper. Reuse yeast. Buy bulk if possible.

Dry stouts are also ridiculously cheap beers to brew. 7lbs of MO, 2lbs flaked barley, 1lb roasted barley, 1oz bittering hops, 1 packet of S-04/US-05/Nottingham yeast... If you're buying from a store you can swing those ingredients for 20 bucks or less, but if you buy base malt by the sack and hops by the pound the price plummets.

considering I can brew a beer for $0.50 which is the same price as PBR using quality ingredients and getting beer that is as good or better than $10 six packs at the package store, I'd say that is pretty darn cheap. I usually save on yeast buying one snap pack and building it up ( I have a 20 g. system) or reusing. Growing your own hops can help a whole lot too. I just had my 3rd harvest last year, and filled up 2 55lb grain bags with dried hops from 6 cascade ryzomes. But even a 7% or so beer takes only 46-50ish lbs of grains, and at $1.30-1.50/lb that still leaves room to keep it under $100 which gives me $0.50 a beer.

Back