three floyds water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

positiverpr

Reaction score
i'm brewing an alpha king clone soon and i'm wondering if anyone knows if three floyds treats their water. does anyone have a profile of munster's water. you can tell that the water is right in their beers.

I’m sure if they use city water they treat it. Do a google search for the local water, it has always worked for me.

I don't have an answer for you, but would you mind posting your recipe? This 'ticular brew is in my top three. Thanks.

If you want the water they use go get a 5 gallon bucket of lake Michigan water and filter it. Same stuff they use.

the recipe i'm using is from byo clones. i've brewed the alesmith double ipa and it was good. ive heard fair reviews on others from this source. one concern i have is that there are 11 malts. i'm unsure if the recipe is available online but i bet it is.

Can you post the recipe? I don't have the byo recipe. Thanks.
Here is one I found. I got it from here

All Grain Recipe - Three Floyds Alpha King ::: 1.066/1.015 (5.5 Gal)
Grain Bill
12 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/4 lb. - Special B Malt
1/8 lb. - Melanoidin Malt

Hop Schedule (64 IBU)
1 oz - Centennial (60 min.)
1/2 oz - Warrior (30 min.)
1 oz - Cascade (15 min.)
1.5 oz - Centennial (5 min.)
1 oz - Centennial (Dry Hop)
1 oz - Columbus (Dry Hop)

Yeast
White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 152° to 154° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 66° to 68°

this recipe has 6 of 2row,6 and 6ounce belgian 2row, 1 of begian palemalt.1.5 ofcarapils,melanoidin,caramunichII,crystal60,and special b. the 2ounces of caramunichIII plus 1/2 ounce of red wheat. hops are warrior 0.5 90.centennial 0.71 90. 2 of cascade 0. 1 of cascade cent, and columbus dry hop. wlp 001 yeast. like i said the malt bill seems a little busy but im gonna try it with amarillo in place of the fabled once available centennial. hope chris colby doest sue me

I put my extract AK clone into the secondary last Friday, will probably put in the dry hops tomorrow. The recipe I'm using is:

30 min steep per directions, .5 lb Caramunich, 1 lb. Crystal 60L

60 min boil per directions, 1.66 lb DME at boil, (broken down into 1 lb Briess light DME, .66 lb Munton Amber DME. 6 Lb Briess X LIght LME as late addition at 20 min.

Hop additons per directions: 1 oz. Columbus @ 60 min, .5 oz. Warrior @ 30 min, 1 oz . Centennial (type) @ 5 min. 1 oz. Centennial (type) dry hop in secondary.

Pitched Wyeast Activator 1056

Good fermentation in 18 hrs.....put another batch of beer on top of the AK yeast (a Hop Yard Ale using my own hops from plants started last season. That one, of course, took off like a rocket almost immediately.

Back