Making a Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dub

Reaction score
I am making a starter for a Belgian Dark Strong Ale (OG target is 1.075-1.110, recipe on page 244&245 in Brewing Classic Styles). I am planning to pitch approximately 300 Billion cells. I am starting with Wyeast 1762 (100 Billion cells). To get up to 300 billion I was going to build it up twice, a half gallon at a time. I have never done a multi stage starter before. After the first fermentation is complete, should I chill and pour off the first wort before I add the second? Do I just pour the second half gallon right on top of the first and aerate? Or, should I forget the second propagation altogether and just build a single one gallon starter? Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

300b cells isn't really that many. You could get there with 1L > 2L stepped starter. I just add more wort to the starter as it's going, then for small starters I just dump the whole thing in the wort. For starters over 4L, I'll crash and decant.

The reason I don't like crashing starters is that your fermentation will be better if the yeast is active and vigorous. Why would you want the yeast to go dormant again right before they make your beer? It stresses the yeast to chill it, then warm it back up.

As a second point of view, I always crash my yeast starters. When nutrient levels in your starter start to drop out (i.e., when your yeast start to flocculate) they shift their metabolic energies from reproduction to building up reserves of things like glycogen and sterols. Cold crashing, specifically, causes the yeast to build up trehalose reserves that act as an important factor in stress resistance and as a source of quick energy at pitching. Chris White's standar recommendation is 48 hours on the plate and 48 hours in the fridge for each step.

Thanks guys. MalFet do you have any experience with a multi-stage starter. Do you crash in between the build ups?

Back