anyone interested in trading homebrews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to sample some of what you have in return for some of what I have. Nothing major, just a 12oz bottle of yours for a 12oz bottle of mine. Postage shouldn't be too bad for a single bottle, right?

PM me if you are interested. I don't have anything ready at the moment that is worth of a trade, but in a few weeks I sure will.

-walker

hey man in a couple weeks I'll have some Irish red that should be great. But I was wondering, have you ever mailed beer? or had it mailed to you? If so, how does it affect the flavor of the beer? Isn't that how a lot of ppl submit beer to competitions? And last but not least, how do you package it? Thanks

I haven't done it before, nor have I thought through the logistics yet. Just tossing out the idea.

Mailing it shouldn't affect the flavor unless it sits in a hot place for a long time... that's my guess anyway.

Packaging?? Probably just some bubble wrap around the bottle (the BIG bubbles, not the small ones) and put it into a carboard box or a cardboard tube with thick walls (like the ones used for storing blueprints and posters.)

-walker

Sounds like a good idea. When I've sent mine out, I use the bubble wrap around the beer and newspaper in the box method. Wasn't expensive and it made it to its destination without a problem. She loved the beer too, two weeks after letting everything settle out.

I'm in. I'm going to bottle my Kolsch this weekend so it'll be a perfect time to send the brew.

I'll put a "born on" date on it. Keep it at room temp for a week, then fridge it for two weeks. :)

Aren't there any quirky legal ramifications of 'trading' alcoholic products, particularly across state lines?

I'd like to sample some of what you have in return for some of what I have. Nothing major, just a 12oz bottle of yours for a 12oz bottle of mine.
Im in!! This will give me a chance to try some darker beers since that looks like the type you like to drink.

Aren't there any quirky legal ramifications of 'trading' alcoholic products, particularly across state lines?
Not sure but I went to send some empty bottles to someone i sold over ebay and the USPS refused to send them becuase by law they couldent mail alcohol. I said they were empty and they could check them if they wanted but they said down the line the distrobution will not check it and refuse it anyway. On another note, mine was not packaged the best, if you hid the bottle in the box they would never know, I was sending 48!

If you find a carpet retailers, they throw away the cardboard tube in themiddle. It's got about a 4" diameter. That should be ideal!
I use to work at Home Depot and they throw these away daily. You could cut it into sections with a wood saw and have anought to mail like 12 single bottles. I think this is perfect.

The Sampling and Critiquing forum here was made for just this type of thing....trading and sampling others' brews. :)

kornkob said:

that's a good question. I should probably check into that before I do something that is considered 'bootlegging'. The last thing I need is the ATF breathing down my neck.... the friggin FBI is already bothersome enough. ;)

-walker

Walker said:
I'd like to sample some of what you have in return for some of what I have. Nothing major, just a 12oz bottle of yours for a 12oz bottle of mine. Postage shouldn't be too bad for a single bottle, right?-walker

I'm up for this if the logistics can be worked out.

clef

Sadly, this seems to be illegal in every single state. Beer can be shipped WITHIN the state, but not across state lines. Also, USPS and most major delivery services (FedEx, UPS, DHL) will not ship alcohol at all.

So, it sounds like the only way to do this legally and without deception would be to use some no-name courrier service, and only ship it to someone else in the same state as you.

Bummer.... you TX guys have some stuff I would like to guzzle.

-walker

As was mentioned, people do it all the time for competitions. I believe most avoid the USPS, but I've used them.

If the ATF (or whatever it's called now) was worried about it, this wouldn't be happening all the time. If you want to ship it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Use UPS or FedEx - whatever mode you like. As mentioned, it is done for homebrew compeitition all the time.

The Feds are worried about people shipping for profit and/or to avoid taxes - smugglers, thieves and bootleggers (wasn't that the title of a Cher song?).

Form Mike Uchima's website:

It is illegal to send beer via the US Postal Service.

UPS can also refuse a shipment if they know it contains beer. If it wasn't for the fact that UPS walk-up centers occasionally open packages for inspection (to verify that the contents are packed safely), I would be inclined to say that this is a case of "don't ask, don't tell"... but problems can occur. Even so, many people ship homebrew competition entries successfully via UPS. Some people have indicated that it is better to go through one of the third party "pack and ship" outfits, because UPS rarely (if ever) opens packages that they pick up from these places.

Another option is to go with one of the express shipping companies (e.g. FedEx), but this will cost you a bit more.

Im still game. Anyone else??
I plan on mailing a bottle wrapped in bubble wrap and put into a box packed tightly with newspaper so it doesnt slide back and forth. I have no prob using fed ex. Its not like we are shipping a carboy :p

Am I the only person here that sees there are saftey issues drinking something sent to you by some guy on the internet?

I'm still in. (I never really was one to be bothered by the legality of things anyway.)

You wanted to try one of my dark beers, but I don't have any of those bottled yet. The American IPA I have is definately worthy of a trade, but not exactly what you are after.

The porter will be bottled this weekend, and I'll get back to you if I am happy with the product and would consider making you drink it. :)

If all else fails, the stout that's in the secondary is more than worthy of a trade, but that one is still a few weeks from being bottled, and maybe at LEAST a month and a half from being ready to drink.

-walker

SilvaRizla said:
Am I the only person here that sees there are saftey issues drinking something sent to you by some guy on the internet?

Probably. :D

True, we have never met each other, but I am not terribly worried about being poisoned by someone on this forum.. particularly the ones that I converse with on a daily basis.

Now.. I don't know you at all, so I probably wouldn't trade with you. No offense intended, but I prefer to have some sort of conversational relationship with the person I trade with. (I wouldn't drink anything from the guy around the corner from my house if I didn't know him on some level.)

Plus... I'll have the address of anyone I trade with if I feel the need to go after them. :D

Hell.. those beer contest judges drink stuff ALL THE TIME from people that they don't know. They son't seem very worried, now do they?

-walker

Walker said:
Plus... I'll have the address of anyone I trade with if I feel the need to go after them.
Well, you'll have an address...who knows if it's real or not. :eek:

I guess I'm game. Not sure if I have something worthy of trading yet, but maybe in a batch or two.

I'm hoping to bottle up my porter this weekend as well. If all goes well, a porter for a porter sounds like a fair trade :)

What kind of bottles does everyone plan on using? I'm still a little concerned about the secureness of my regular bottles & caps. They hold carb just fine, but just one good bump in shipping and they'd probably come right off. Nothing a bunch of shipping tape wouldn't solve, but still :D

El Pistolero said:
Well, you'll have an address...who knows if it's real or not. :eek:

Another conspiracy theorist! Egads!

Seriously... are you worried about LupusUmbrus or myself poisoning someone!?

If you are, one of us is being too paranoid or too relaxed.

Walker said:
Seriously... are you worried about LupusUmbrus or myself poisoning someone!?
No, I was just jerking your chain. :D As places in cyber space go, this one does seem to be relatively benign. That being said tho, as a general rule I find that when it comes to the internet, a little paranoia goes a long way. :cool:

Ok.. glad to hear that. For a second there I though you guys were starting to catch on to my Master Plan.

I work for a big american crap beer company. My assignment is to infiltrate every homebrew message board, befriend the quality brewers there, work out homebrew trades with each one, ship a bottle of arsenic to them, while in return giving out a false address so that I can't be traced easily.

Since no one is the wiser, I will continue with my plan.

What was yor address, Lupus?

Oh, and El. P. I have that tequila ready for you, too. As soon as I figure out how to forge the wax seal to look the same as the original one, I'll get it in th e mail.

*eyes shifting nervously from side to side*

-walker

SilvaRizla said:

I've had ORRELSE's beer. I figure if that didn't kill me, nothing will. :D

Walker said:
Sadly, this seems to be illegal in every single state. Beer can be shipped WITHIN the state, but not across state lines. Also, USPS and most major delivery services (FedEx, UPS, DHL) will not ship alcohol at all.

So, it sounds like the only way to do this legally and without deception would be to use some no-name courrier service, and only ship it to someone else in the same state as you.

Bummer.... you TX guys have some stuff I would like to guzzle.

-walker

DHL ships alcohol, that is how i get my beer from my beer of the month club, http://www.monthlyclubs.com

LupusUmbrus said:
Um... uh, here:

700 Schrock Rd, Columbus, OH ;)

I guess this isn't funny unless you do a good google search. That's the address of the budweiser plant not too far from where I live :D

Hi Cheesefood,

I notice you mentioned you are going to bottle a batch of Kolsch. Have you made it before? I just bought the stuff to make a batch and I am wondering what it will be like. My recipe is made with a lager yeast-- the guy at the store said I should have no trouble fermenting it in my basement. It has just turned cooler here (Wisconsin) the past few days, so our basement should be down in the 60's soon.

mmditter said:
Hi Cheesefood,

I notice you mentioned you are going to bottle a batch of Kolsch. Have you made it before? I just bought the stuff to make a batch and I am wondering what it will be like. My recipe is made with a lager yeast-- the guy at the store said I should have no trouble fermenting it in my basement. It has just turned cooler here (Wisconsin) the past few days, so our basement should be down in the 60's soon.

This is the first time I've ever made or had Kolsch. I'm bottling tomorrow. I tried a taste of it this morning and it's FANTASTIC. By the way, Kolsch has ale and lager characteristics and therefore should be brewed in both warm and cool temps. I used a Kolsch yeast for mine and it gave a fruitty, wine-like flavor.

By the way, for those concerned about shipping...

Once upon a time, some friends and I freely shipped stuff far more illegal than a beer. We never had any problems. When the anthrax scare was going on, a friend was mailing me stuff from Sweden that's not legal here.

Put it in a box, fill the box with newspaper and bring it to UPS pre-packaged. They won't ask and you don't need to tell. I'm in if anyone is still interested.

Cheesefood said:
Put it in a box, fill the box with newspaper and bring it to UPS pre-packaged. They won't ask and you don't need to tell. I'm in if anyone is still interested.

Hey Cheesefood

I'm just down state from you and if you're up for trading a couple bottles I am. I've got an APA that's been in the bottles for a little over a week and I have high hopes for. I tried one the other night (because I couldn't wait :drunk: ) and it wasn't too bad.

clef

Cheesefood, I'm bottling my Kolsch next weekend. I'll swap one of mine for one of yours to compare :D

Lets see, what could he be shipping from Sweden??? :confused: I Know. Blonde bikini cheerleaders :D

clef said:
Hey Cheesefood

I'm just down state from you and if you're up for trading a couple bottles I am. I've got an APA that's been in the bottles for a little over a week and I have high hopes for. I tried one the other night (because I couldn't wait :drunk: ) and it wasn't too bad.

clef

This is for you and 2nd St:

I bottled my kolsch today. I'm going to give it at least two weeks before I'll commit to sending it because I want to see how it tastes. If it's good, I'll happily swap with both of you guys. If not, I'll have a Caramel Vanilla Ale ready about a week later.

I tasted the Kolsch this morning, and it was really good. Definite wine-like flavor to it. Almost fruitty, but without having any fruit in it. In other words: it's good.

I recommend that those of you who agree to a swap create new topics in the "Sampling and Critiquing" forum so it'll be easier to follow. We've had very limited use of that forum, so if we actually get some swapping/critiquing going on, it'll be nice to have it all somewhat organized.

I might have some stuff to swap myself, after I move later this month. The Imperial IPA, the Crunk Monk Trippel, and the upcoming Dog's Bollocks IPA are all going to be bottled exclusively.

Cheesefood said:
...Once upon a time, some friends and I freely shipped stuff far more illegal than a beer. We never had any problems. When the anthrax scare was going on, a friend was mailing me stuff from Sweden that's not legal here. Put it in a box, fill the box with newspaper and bring it to UPS pre-packaged. They won't ask and you don't need to tell. I'm in if anyone is still interested.[/SIZE]
In where? Prison? :drunk: :D

I think someone should make a forum which just has beer trading information if people want to start doing it. Or a separate section on the website...Who runs this thing? There could be a huge list of people sorted by what beer they have and what beer they want. Or maybe rather than trading it would just be simpler, cheaper and more legal to have a big recipes page sorted by beer type or maybe one forum per type of beer, and you just go to that section and choose a recipe that looks fun? I'm a little excited maybe, just a thought.

I think someone should make a forum which just has beer trading information if people want to start doing it. Or a separate section on the website...Who runs this thing?

I've mentioned it twice in this thread, as does the post right above yours. The Sampling and Critiquing forum here was created just for swapping amongst members.

Back