BeerAlchemy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogercorbett

Reaction score
Hi All,
I only have a couple of brews under my belt and I intend to continue doing partial mash for the foreseeable future. I'm using BeerAlchemy software (which is excellent by the way) and I'm having difficulty finding many recipes in the .bar format. Steve Flack, the developer, has a good collection of recipes on the BeerAlchemy website, but they are nearly all Full Mash. If anyone knows of a good resource for partial mash .bar files I'd love to know.
Thanks.

BTW, check out Steve's collection of recipes at Kent Place Software - The Home Of Homebrewing Software

Just consider all grain anyway because it is very controllable for fermentables verses unfermentables and the fresh flavor that you don't get from can or dry malt. Recipes can be input as text into most brewing programs so there is a way to succeed with any file format. I have no idea why programmers try to have their own file format and then not have an import function to use other popular known formats.

Most programs now can import/export beer.xml files.

Or convert to partial mash.

1lb grain/.75 lbs LME/.6 lb DME.

So, say you have

8lb two row
1lb crystal
.5lb vienna

And you can mash 4 pounds. Mash 2.5lbs two row, 1lb crystal and .5 vienna. Now replace the missing 5.5 pounds with either

5.5*.75 = 4.125 LME
or
5.5*.6 = 3.3 DME

someone had a post on here a month back or so about getting ahold of lots of recipes and made the file available here. I think he converted them to .xml files so all programs could read them. I'll see if i can find it.

No offense to anyone else, but if the OP said he intends to do PMs then let the guy. I know there are stovetop tutorials for AG out there, but maybe he doesn't want to/ can't boil that much etc. AG is nice, but it isn't the only way to make good beer.

Back