Reinheitsgebot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wirk

Reaction score
I have a few questions, I am brewing an ale, so far I've only used barley, yeast, water and hops. I am going to carbonate it with dextrose, am I following the Reinheitsgebot? if not, how to carbonate an ale following the purity law?

A couple of things to note:

There are many versions of the Reinheitsgebot. The most commonly cited one is the original, from Bavaria, which, among everything else, prohibits addition of yeast (which, contrary to public opinion was very well known at the time) and wheat malt. It only existed in that form from 1516 until 1548, after which beers with wheat, clove and coriander were brewed again in Bavaria.

The other commonly cited version is the German purity law that existed from 1906 until 1993 (with revisions during that time). Under this version, additions of certain sugars WERE permissible for ales, but not for lagers.

There are many versions of the Reinheitsgebot. The most commonly cited one is the original, from Bavaria, which, among everything else, prohibits addition of yeast

Yeah, everybody seems to like to point that out, but they never seem to mention that the law was eventually amended to include yeast.

It would help if you read the entire post.

A couple of things to note:

There are many versions of the Reinheitsgebot. The most commonly cited one is the original, from Bavaria, which, among everything else, prohibits addition of yeast (which, contrary to public opinion was very well known at the time) and wheat malt. It only existed in that form from 1516 until 1548, after which beers with wheat, clove and coriander were brewed again in Bavaria.

The other commonly cited version is the German purity law that existed from 1906 until 1993 (with revisions during that time). Under this version, additions of certain sugars WERE permissible for ales, but not for lagers.

I did. Where in there does it say anything about an amendment for yeast? It does mention one for wheat, clove and coriander. Lose the condescending attitude, buddy, and read your own posts before you get cocky.

Please recall that the OPs original question was: "I am going to carbonate it with dextrose, am I following the Reinheitsgebot?"

The answer to that was given in my post (which was "it depends"), along with some elaboration that was intended to clarify, not confuse or incite anger. Given that beer was legal in Germany until EU regulations superseded German laws, it follows logically that yeast was eventually included in later versions of the many laws that carried the title or were otherwise referred to as "Reinheitsgebot".

Alles klar, alter?

I was under the impression that using "speise" (sugar) was legal under Reinheitsgebot to carb beers with. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

ArcaneXor said:
Please recall that the OPs original question was: "I am going to carbonate it with dextrose, am I following the Reinheitsgebot?"

The answer to that was given in my post (which was "it depends"), along with some elaboration that was intended to clarify, not confuse or incite anger.

Do you read your posts?

I did. Where in there does it say anything about an amendment for yeast? It does mention one for wheat, clove and coriander. Lose the condescending attitude, buddy, and read your own posts before you get cocky.
Why are you calling out the condescending attitude? I did not get that from his post. He just pointed out that the original one did not include yeast, but that was only for a few years. It was plain to me that was changed without being written in the way you would have preferred.:off:

I was under the impression that using "speise" (sugar) was legal under Reinheitsgebot to carb beers with. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Speise is unfermented wort. Adding it for carbonation would, I believe, be compliant with any of the commonly referenced versions of the RHG. Another method is using actively fermenting beer, which is called kraeusening. Hopsalot and kgalle referred to these methods in their respective posts.

The German practice for lager is spunding. The fermentation vessel is closed and the beer is cabonated during the final stages of pressure fermentation. This is done because adding CO2 from anything other than the fermentation process is prohibited.

Back