What can be done with old malt extract syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNisich

Reaction score
I found someone on Craigslist who was giving up the hobby and selling all their stuff so I bought the lot. Along with the equipment they gave me a five gallon bucket of amber malt syrup. This stuff has been sitting in my brew closet for a couple of years with a skim of rum over the top of the syrup to prevent mold from growing. Before that, the other person probably had it for more than a year. So, this stuff is somewhere from 3 to 4 years old. I tasted it and it tastes just any other malt syrup that I have sampled but I am afraid to use it for fear of wasting a batch.

Do you guys think this stuff is still usable? Any ideas on how?

DNisich said:
I found someone on Craigslist who was giving up the hobby and selling all their stuff so I bought the lot. Along with the equipment they gave me a five gallon bucket of amber malt syrup. This stuff has been sitting in my brew closet for a couple of years with a skim of rum over the top of the syrup to prevent mold from growing. Before that, the other person probably had it for more than a year. So, this stuff is somewhere from 3 to 4 years old. I tasted it and it tastes just any other malt syrup that I have sampled but I am afraid to use it for fear of wasting a batch.

Since this is really the most expensive part I would say go for it. Honey can stay edible for well over 3000 years so I don't see why extract can't make decent beer after 3-4 years....maybe use dry yeast just to test it out.

I dunno, I am more of a drinker of brews than a brewer of drinks. Therefore, methinks that it would be a lot of work to go through to find out if it did taste bad.

Taste the extract. If it tastes good, it will likely brew good.

However, I'd bet against you in this case...that's some OLD stuff. I've read a lot about using fresh ingredients, including extract.

If you don't care about potentially wasting the time, make a simple Amber with some dry yeast. If it turns out bad, all you wasted was the time and a few bucks for hops and some yeast.

IMO, I think something has to be funky with it. I've heard many people say the key to a good beer is fresh ingredients. Since LME is one of the soonest to spoil, I think it's a bit past it's prime...

Let us know how it turns out though!

I think you should brew it up. Steep a pound of Crystal-40 and make it kinda hoppy. You don't have much to lose.

If you do brew it, please report your results to the board. This is a good opportunity to test the conventional wisdom, and I think we would all like to hear how it turns out.

The oldest LME I've used was 6 years in the can. Used it in a stout with some specialty grains. Worked out.

david_42 said:
The oldest LME I've used was 6 years in the can. Used it in a stout with some specialty grains. Worked out.
Yeah, that's the ticket...you can hide a lot of faults in a dark, dark stout.

Given how little free time I have, I'd rather waste $15 worth of funky old LME than waste all of my time and effort. But if I had the time and didn't mind tying up a fermenter on a dubious batch I'd give it a go.

One troubling scenario: if it comes out fantastic, to repeat the results you'll have to age another bucket of LME and rum for four years!

make a one gallon batch. 2lbs of your syrup in about of gallon of water .5 oz hops for bittering, .5 oz for flavor. ferment it with whatever yeast you have, you only need to pitch like one tablespoon. bottle it and if it tastes good do a big batch.

olllllo said:
What if after several batches

at the very bottom

you found a human head??
AIIIIIGHHHH!

LOL!! Now that recipe is REALLY going to be tricky to duplicate. What would you call it, "Jimmy Hoffa Hefe?"

I just realized I misread the OP's message...it's five GALLONS of extract, not five pounds. I'd definitely make a test batch.

5 Gals of Extract WHOA! You are fine. I used 6.6 pounds Amber LME (sealed in a can of course) that was nearly 10 years old. I knew that I was risking it but it didn't matter. I wanted to brew and all I had was that stuff. Turns out the brew was a hit at Christmas in 05. Was a fantastic Amber. You can add some adjuncts to add flavor but for base malt you should be fine.

You can call it Ancient Amber Ale!

- WW

sully said:
make a one gallon batch. 2lbs of your syrup in about of gallon of water .5 oz hops for bittering, .5 oz for flavor. ferment it with whatever yeast you have, you only need to pitch like one tablespoon. bottle it and if it tastes good do a big batch.

For a buck or two in extra ingredients and basically the same amount of time, you can have 5 gallons.

If it's bad, you haven't lost much more than making a 1-gallon batch.

If it's good, you have 5 gallons of good beer instead of 1.

Yeah, I guess it really isn't much of a risk and, really, it tastes fine. Gonna give this a whirl and let everyone know how it worked out. I'll get some collaborative tasters to bear me out if I decide to claim that it doesn't suck.

Stay tuned.........

I'd think, that at the worst, it would have just gotten darker over the years. I'd try it! Especially, since there was a skim of rum on the surface, that would have prevented most nasties from ruining it.

Try it, and tell us what happens.

steve

That would make a excellent whiskey. Don`t matter how old it is. To bad home still a agains the law.

good luck!

later

DNscih, or whatever...

Great idea!
a layer of rum over the LME in 'the bucket'
for when in the storage mode.
I use DME now for that very reason.
But I miss the empty LME buckets because they make good poulty watering buckets when cut down right.
You know,
where they stick their heads in a hole in the side to drink,
and with the top covered they can't **** in the water,
when they sit on the bucket,
which is inevitable.
Poultry 'sit' and '****',
on everything.

jacksknifeshop.tripod.com
and check out plowshare forge too!

This is m y first post :)

I just started my first batch after not brewing for several years (I got into brewing fruit wines from scratch) and the dry yeast had expired 7 months ago (best before date). When I opened the can, it looked very strange... like trub (hops, grains etc) ... very granular. It smelled ok, so I went ahead and boiled with Styrian Golding hops (25gms) and added 500gr of honey. O.G. = 1.058... I just racked (after 3 days) at S.G. = 1.020... and color is nice (think Leffe Blonde) and taste is very nice (think bitter with a sweet aftertaste).

So far so good. I'll try to remember to post results.

PS - the kit was a Canadian Blonde Ale (Brew Canada) kit, 1.9Kg. and I am making a 3 gal batch.

I recently brewed up an IPA recipe and used Alexander Pale Malt (9lbs) that was 2-3 years old. It had never been opened so any oxidation was limited to just sitting in the plastic tub in a closet. Anyway, it was much darker than the 3lbs of Alexanders' I added to complete the recipe - dark like molasses. It tasted fine and had a chocolatey finish. There was no evidence of any mold. It's consistency was the same as the new malt, just much darker.
Cut to the chase, the IPA was also dark, like Coca-Cola, throughout the process (wort, bucket, carboy, keg, glass). The taste after a week in the carboy was soy saucy and a hint of coffee. Needless to say, I was bummed that I had just brewed 5G's of bad beer. Well, beer with a weird finish. I tried to rationalize that I was tasting warm, flat beer - the worst adjectives you could attribute to your favorite libation. Out of the carboy, it tasted the same - prolonging my regret. It sat in the carboy for 2 weeks and then I kegged it. I couldn't help but sample it a few days in the kegerator, so could decide to dump or keep it. I kept tasting it for a few days, and much to my delight it was tasting better and better. I thought I was just imagining the improvement. I brought a sample to the homebrew store and the guy there described it as a good English brown ale. I reminded him that it was an IPA, and he replied, "Where'd the hops go?" Mind you this recipe called for about 6 additions of hops. Nonetheless, I have a good beer after all. Would I recommend using old malt? No. The lesson here is that it's hard to keep a good beer down. If you brewed well, things will work out. Also, give the beer a chance to do its thing. The week in the keg was a must. It allowed it to carbonate and temper/develop it flavors.

Perfect opportunity to do what I did last night - brew a one-gallon batch. If it does not pass, then use the stuff to make cookies and pies.

B

I've used canned lme that was 4 years old and it worked fine. I think
a lot of this stuff you read here about malt extract "twang" and "use
it fresh only" is just a lot of hooey. Sure, it may darken a bit, but so
what? If you are trying to make a light lager for competition you wouldn't
use it, but think about it. What possible bad flavors could it produce?
How could it possibly be worse than using 2 pounds of roasted barley
in a 5 gal recipe, or 6 oz of hops or the other silly stuff you see promoted
here?

Ray

I agree rayg. I used a cooper's OS lager can dated 6/09 with 3lbs of Munton's plain extra light DME,& hops. It came out the beer on my avatar. Tasted a lot like a Salvator doppel bock. Just not as heavy on body & alcohol. So use it,nothing to worry about but color. So take that into consideration,& brew something brown colored. It'll be fine,trust me. As long as it tastes good,it'll work.:mug:

I brewed up a batch earlier this year with a 3 year stout old kit (light extract in sealed mylar bags). It stalled out at 1.03 even though I pitched a new pack of S04 and a pack on Notty after it stalled with no further progress. I also tasted stale so I dumped it. :( Hopefully your story will have a happier ending.

I brewed up a batch earlier this year with a 3 year stout old kit (light extract in sealed mylar bags). It stalled out at 1.03 even though I pitched a new pack of S04 and a pack on Notty after it stalled with no further progress. I also tasted stale so I dumped it. :( Hopefully your story will have a happier ending.

There isn't anything in old malt that would cause yeast not to
ferment, even if it had been infected with some brett or some
other wild yeast. It's just not possible. If you had a problem, it
was with your dried yeast or temps or some other thing.

Ray

Back