Belgian Dark Strong Ale Leffe Radieuse Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to commend you on your patience. I would have tasted at least one a long time ago. Hope it is worth the wait.

What is considered Dark Candi Syrup 45L or 90L?
I just did a homemade one which is about 45 L (90 EBC) would that be dark enough?

Thanks!:mug:

I would think so, the beer is red purple ish in colour. Aromatic, caramunich and special b are on the dark side so i don't think your syrup needs to be to dark to recreate the colour.

what a great beer! reminds me I have one in my cellar from two years ago. the airlock blew at 4am a couple weeks before my two year old was born. still finding dried yeast from that blowout. that sucker continued to bubble and expel crap from the blowoff for weeks!

I'm going to make it again tomorrow. thanks for the inspiration!

This is what mine looks like after two years! Worth saving.

IMG_2620.jpg

well, the batch I made back in february is still sitting in a carboy, discovered it has a bio-film of some sort on it today so I pulled a sample- tastes great. wonder what's growing on it.

This is going in the queue. I have 5 real leffe bruns in the fridge and I miss it already...

Brewed this on the 18th of October, fermented with WLP545 (Belgian Strong Ale) Today it was at 1.005. Tastes amazing. Harvested a good bit of yeast. Going to do this again real soon since I don't think I'll be holding onto the first batch very long. Need to get more Bombers for bottling.

jGwkaAs.png

vZgsnke.jpg

well, the batch I made back in february is still sitting in a carboy, discovered it has a bio-film of some sort on it today so I pulled a sample- tastes great. wonder what's growing on it.

Rack from under the surface, stop the flow when you're left with ~1 inch of beer left, bottle the rest?

Whats your plan?

I missed this beer, I have gone pro so unfortunately I don't have much time to home brew anymore.
Enjoy.

I missed this beer, I have gone pro so unfortunately I don't have much time to home brew anymore.
Enjoy.

Cool for the Rising Sons?

I've been posting in this thread for about 2 years but still need to brew it.
At the moment I don't have any WLP530 but have a vial of WLP570 I would like to use up. Of course it won't be a clone then but do you think it would be good with that too?

Might actually make a Belgian IPA with some fruity hops. :fro:

No I started a contract brewing business 6 months ago, I'm about to release my third beer. The brand is Radikale.

Congrats! And thanks again for posting this and your inputs. I'm going to brew it again with at least two other yeasts. Might try and very term temp profile like CSI's threads always seem to.

Rack from under the surface, stop the flow when you're left with ~1 inch of beer left, bottle the rest?

Whats your plan?

yep, that's what i did. deeelish! this is one of my favs and one of only a couple beers I have attempted to brew twice.

Just to resurrect this Thread - I found this recipe sometime ago, and ifnally got around to brewing it.
I lowered the OG to 1.068, as most of this will be placed onto Brett B.

anyways, I didn't have access to Liquid yeast on this one, so I made the decision to try out the new Mangrove Jacks Abbey Ale Yeast. bear in mind I racked this to secondary on brett, and saved a gal for secondary bulk aging for a few weeks, at around 15 deg C, just to help smooth it out, but I'll say this much, this is probably one of the better Belgian style dry yeasts around, and it tasted very similar to what I remember.

I'll post results once I've bottled the plain version, but this yeast seems to be the goods.

Hope it turns out ok for you. I like the idea of using Brett B on this recipe. I used the same malt recipe to make a Belgian IPA a while ago and it turned out very nice.
Let me know how the brett version works out.

Resurrecting this thread once again as finding the recipe for Radieuse on here was one of the reasons I joined.

So on Monday I made a version - that is a hybrid of the recipe by the OP and one I saw elsewhere:

4.57kg Pale ale malt (Had spare)
0.81kg Vienna
0.28kg Special B
0.21kg Aromatic
0.21kg Carahell
0.63kg Candi sugar

26.2g Northern brewer - 60min
15g Hallertauer - 15min

5g Coriander seed - 5min
Zest of two oranges - 5min

Pitched with two packets of Mangrove Jack M47 Belgian abbey when down to 17C.
The bubbler started going in less than an hour after pitching - keeping this coold at 17C for a week and then will let it drift up to around 23C I think for at least a couple of weeks.

Really looking forward to see how it comes out - looked amazing when I made it!
IMG_7716.jpeg
IMG_7722.jpeg
IMG_7725.jpeg

4031BA0B-1357-49A6-84D5-7D9468ADF538.jpeg
So this beer came out great - a little too good!
I over egged it with the OG and so took the decision to dilute it down with boiled / filtered water when adding isinglass after crash cooling. This meant I ended up with a lovely fruity & malty 7.2% beer. This is very drinkable - will be making again!

There is a copy of this recipe on the Grainfather community for those with a grainfather.
https://community.grainfather.com/recipes/220020
I brewed it in August. Even out of the fermenter when I bottled it out tasted special. We opened a taster bottle last weekend. It tastes AMAZING. Mine came out slightly too sweet (FG 1.020) and it's noticeable, but it is still amazing. Thank you to the originator of the recipe. We drink a fair bit of Radieuse whenever we can get some from Belgium and so I'm looking forward to doing a side by side comparison when it's finally ready in another two and a half months!

I brewed it in August. Even out of the fermenter when I bottled it out tasted special. We opened a taster bottle last weekend. It tastes AMAZING.
Thanks for bringing back an old thread, I've never heard of this beer, but I'm going to try making my own version.
:mug:

Last edited:
Wow. Made 12/28/21 with original recipe on here and bottled on 1/22/22. Only changes were 60 min mash, rounded up the Candi syrup to a full pound and used wlp 500 but came out with a great 8.2% brew; will be doing this again for sure. Photo comes out a bit dark but the beer has a nice reddish tint there.
C9254EBE-22E8-48F1-919B-1D9C177B9E48.jpeg

I couldn't stop reading this so I made it through the whole thing.
Adding to my to do list as I love Leffe, though I can't find this one here locally.

I couldn't stop reading this so I made it through the whole thing.
Adding to my to do list as I love Leffe, though I can't find this one here locally.
I think they've stopped making it. There website doesn't list it anymore 😭. This was the best beer they've ever made IMO

Brewed this today with some slight modifications, used Imperial B56 Rustic and used a full pound of pound of dark candi and .27 of white. Hit 1.077 which is close enough for me. Wort tastes amazing!

Brewed this today with some slight modifications, used Imperial B56 Rustic and used a full pound of pound of dark candi and .27 of white. Hit 1.077 which is close enough for me. Wort tastes amazing!
Post how it comes out with those changes. its simply a great brew.

Weird that it didn't explode like my last Belgian triple. I expected it to do so, it's being well behaved.

Took a reading 10 days in and it is down to 1.020 from 1.077=7.4%.

Tasted amazing, great sweet Belgian nose really feel the alcohol warming which is not surprising at room temp with no carbonation.

Edit: was even better after a couple hours in the fridge.

Last edited:
Took a reading 10 days in and it is down to 1.020 from 1.077=7.4%.

Tasted amazing, great sweet Belgian nose really feel the alcohol warming which is not surprising at room temp with no carbonation.
I just happen to be drinking a bottle from my third batch of this, brewed in April. Still a lovely beer. Really strong raisin flavours coming through, and the aroma even you crack the bottle in like nothing else. 🍻

Bottled this on Aug 4th. Finished at 1.008 for an ABV of 9.06%. Threw one in the fridge last night and got a good carb level for 1 week in the bottle.
WOW this tastes amazing! Was hoping for more bubblegum using B-56 but it is well balanced, can't wait to share this one with friends.

Attachments

• 20230910_154541.jpg
    20230910_154541.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back