Zythos hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed a Pale Ale yesterday with them. They smell great. We'll see how it turns out.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 89.4 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.3 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.3 %
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.1 %
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 5 25.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 10.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Zythos [10.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 5.9 IBUs

I'll likely add a dry hop in the secondary too.

This is awesome - I'm just now trying to decide whether to use Zythos, Falconer's Flight, or Calypso as my single hop for a pale ale. Spent the past hour googling the three and seeing the feedback people have on them.

I got 4oz of all three from Farmhouse as part of their black Friday sale. Trying to decide on the one that's the least like standard "C" hops, as I have a C hop IPA on tap right now.

You'll have to let me know how this beer turns out.

i have a half pound of zythos. i will be brewing a hoppy blonde using magnum for bittering and zythos for the rest.

This is awesome - I'm just now trying to decide whether to use Zythos, Falconer's Flight, or Calypso as my single hop for a pale ale.

Sorry for being nit-picky, but keep in mind that Falconer's Flight and Zythos are hop blends designed to extend supply since producer's like HopUnion can't keep up with the demand for hops like Simcoe and Citra.

Check out HopUnion's Statement on Zythos Hop Pellets.

OK, knocked out 11g of 1.055 pale at about 1pm today. First time I've brewed in quite a while, so I had too much wort and not enough OG.

25.5lb Pale malt
1.5lb Munich
1lb C10
1lb C20
.5lb C40

1oz 9% Centennial 60m
1oz 10/9% Zythos 60m
2oz Zythos 10m
2oz Zythos 5m
2oz Zythos 0m

5.5g pitched with WY 1968 and 5.5g with WL051 Cal Ale V, both got 90s pure o2. Pitched at 63, fermentation chamber set to 67, so it should... be... uh, wait, brb, gotta go check!

Rundownhouse said:
OK, knocked out 11g of 1.055 pale at about 1pm today. First time I've brewed in quite a while, so I had too much wort and not enough OG.

Longer boil next time to reduce volume/ increase OG? Sounds delicious, tho!

Yeah, thought about it but I didn't mind dumping the last gallon or two of wort and having a little bit less gravity. I didn't take a preboil gravity reading so I didn't find out until knockout.

This beer is crashing, getting ready to hit kegs. Samples were intensely citruisy, tons of pineapple in there. Each 5.5g got 2oz Zythos dryhop.

I just kegged and IPA dry hopped with Zythos. I do not care whether these are a blended hop or what, they are incredible! The pine aroma is not overpowering, but under girded by a sweet citrus. I absolutely love it. Overall the aroma is amazing... almost addictive. These hops are good.

Any more updates on these beers? I've got 6 oz of Zythos coming this week and am gonna brew a apa or ipa with them

I brewed a pale ale with zythos and bittered with horizon, I think they are kind of strange tasting and I can't put my finger on what it is, it's almost like they are sweet and tangy if that makes any sense.
I dont think I will ever try them again.

Pat

I brewed a scotch ale today and used these. Liked the aroma they had and thought they might pair well with the sweet maltiness of the Scottish Ale. Let you know my full impressions in a couple weeks.

Intensely grapefruity, and I get tons and tons of pineapple. My gf doesn't seem to get the pineapple anywhere near as much as I do. I don't get as much peachy, tangeriney, softly citrus from these as I do from Amarillo. Good hop for hoppy American ales though.

I've been drinking my Pale Ale for about a week. I also get tons of tangerine/peach/apricot flavor as well as the grapefruit bitter citrus. I don't get very much of the pineapple but my brew wasn't all Zythos either. I used Columbus for bittering. I agree with the Amarillo comparison too though. Overall, the Columbus/Zythos combo worked well. Seems it will be a good APA/IPA hop. I've got some more, so I'll be toying with it a little further in the next coming months.

I crafted a pale ale with 9 lb 2-row pale, 2 lb Munich, half lb c-40, & half lb victory. Ended up with 5.5 gals at 1.057 wort using wlp-001 slurry. Bittered with half oz Columbus and then one oz zythos at 15 and 1 min. Tastes ok as a wort. We'll see how it goes!

Did a IIPA with Zythos as the lone dry hop. 3oz in 5 gallons at end of primary for a 5 days. Fantastic hop aroma. The kettle hops were Magnum, Simcoe, Cascade and Centennial, so I cannot say exactly what I am smelling from the Zythos- mixed citrus and pine I would say. Very nice blend. I will buy more.

Nice hop but not quite in the same league as Amarillo, Citra, or Simcoe IMHO...

i agree. i have 8 gallons of an all zythos ale dry hopping with 3oz of zythos right now. this will be a good pale ale but i don't think these hop blends will take the place of my beloved simcoe/citra pale ales.

i agree. i have 8 gallons of an all zythos ale dry hopping with 3oz of zythos right now. this will be a good pale ale but i don't think these hop blends will take the place of my beloved simcoe/citra pale ales.

True, I do think it somewhat fills the gap in supply of Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra until these hops are more available.

I crafted a pale ale with 9 lb 2-row pale, 2 lb Munich, half lb c-40, & half lb victory. Ended up with 5.5 gals at 1.057 wort using wlp-001 slurry. Bittered with half oz Columbus and then one oz zythos at 15 and 1 min. Tastes ok as a wort. We'll see how it goes!

Ha, I brewed almost this exact same recipe just a few days after you:

http://jonflash.myweb.uga.edu/2012.html#apa2012

Just kegged it two days ago. Tastes pretty good, but like others have mentioned the Zythos blend has a unique taste that is similar to Simcoe and Amarillo but not quite them. Its really heavy on the sweet citrus side of American hops. Not so much of the piney/resiny side.

Its really heavy on the sweet citrus side of American hops. Not so much of the piney/resiny side.

Mine was just bottled and I agree its more sweet than piney. Nothing all that special comes to mind expect for 'yep, its kinda citrusy'. I will use the remaining 2 ounces as a dry hop in something else to see how that goes.

I was expecting something more like the amazing falconer's flight... but I think I prefer falc flight to Zythos. Falc. Flight is pretty amazing.

Would zythos sub very well for sorachi ace? I have a brewday planned and can't get sorachi ace in time.

Sorachi ace is an odd duck for a hop. If this is for your sapporo style beer and you had nothing else, sure. But I am sure that it will be different than if you used Sorachi Ace.

I just tasted my zythos IPA and I'm less than excited about it. A brewer friend of mine was given a sample from the distributor and he passed them on to me. The aroma is very odd, it's kind of herbal, but not very appealing. The flavor is good, but it's pretty balanced with the malt. Some citrus notes and little else. If I could go back I'd up the late additions, but I was limited to 4 ounces and I prefer a high buttering content. It's only been bottled for 7 days so maybe in another week or so the flavor will change a little. All in all is okay. I probably won't buy them, but if handed out I brew with them again.

Here's the recipe I used:

Zythos IPA

Style: American IPA OG: 1.064
Type: All Grain FG: 1.016
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 6.29 %
Calories: 209 IBU's: 65.56
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.83 Gal
Color:*** 8.2 SRM** Batch Size: 5.50 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 14 days @ 72.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 72.0°F
Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
10.00 lbs 74.07 % Rahr 2-Row 60 mins 1.035
1.00 lbs 7.41 % Briess 2-Row Caramel 20L 60 mins 1.034
1.00 lbs 7.41 % Briess Victory Malt 60 mins 1.034
0.50 lbs 3.70 % Wheat, Flaked 60 mins 1.035
1.00 lbs 7.41 % Corn Sugar (Dextrose) 2 mins 1.046
Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.50 ozs 51.17 Zythos 60 mins 11.90
0.75 ozs 9.28 Zythos 10 mins 11.90
0.75 ozs 5.10 Zythos 5 mins 11.90
1.00 ozs Zythos 14 days 11.90
Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg American Ale Wyeast Labs 1056
Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.25 tsp Gypsum 02 mins Boil
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient 15 mins Boil
0.25 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins Boil

i have a half pound of zythos. i will be brewing a hoppy blonde using magnum for bittering and zythos for the rest.

Yeah, I'm totally gonna do this as well...except I'm going to use Warrior as my bittering hop, and then do one oz Zythos @ 10, 5 & 0. I'm using 11 lbs of 2-row and a lb of CaraHell (10*L). I might try to get some Crisp Cara Malt that is 17L and throw a half pound of that in there as well. But not sure. That's a 1.056 beer as is.

I just bottled a SMaSH I did with this (well, technically it's not "SH" but you get the idea) and Rahr Pale Ale malt.

Not bad, but I've got to say: tastes kinda like orange juice! I think the Zythos would work well as an addition in that 15min range, but the aroma isn't particularly magical. Still, nice to have another citrusey option. Definitely a very drinkable beer.

I didn't get much of a hoppy kick from zythos hops but was amazed at how well WL530 worked with this beer i made. Granted i had simcoes and centennials for flavor and aroma. I didn't want too much bittering but wanted floral qualities. Zythos would be my choice for a Belgian IPA hop again. But for a standard ipa it is no substitute for amarillos, simcoes, centennials, etc.

I didn't get much of a hoppy kick from zythos hops but was amazed at how well WL530 worked with this beer i made. Granted i had simcoes and centennials for flavor and aroma. I didn't want too much bittering but wanted floral qualities. Zythos would be my choice for a Belgian IPA hop again. But for a standard ipa it is no substitute for amarillos, simcoes, centennials, etc.

+1 to the Belgian IPA. That seems like a great fit. Might try it next time!

I just tasted my zythos IPA and I'm less than excited about it. A brewer friend of mine was given a sample from the distributor and he passed them on to me. The aroma is very odd, it's kind of herbal, but not very appealing. The flavor is good, but it's pretty balanced with the malt. Some citrus notes and little else. If I could go back I'd up the late additions, but I was limited to 4 ounces and I prefer a high buttering content. It's only been bottled for 7 days so maybe in another week or so the flavor will change a little. All in all is okay.

Your take is exactly what I feel about my All Zythos IPA. Just sampled the finished beer for the 1st time this weekend. I intended this to be a big IPA, with 8 oz. used in a 5.25 gallon batch. I had a 60 min addition, along with progressively larger additions at 15, 10, 5 and flame out, along with a 2 stage dry hop. The finished beer has little hop aroma and I totally agree with your tasting note, odd.

Not a fan of this blend, wouldn't use it again. Strangely enough, they smell amazing in the bag, but I get none of those aromas or flavors in the beer... IPA's are my main style of brew, and Im not feeling this one...

nutty_gnome said:

So this has been bottled for a while. It's not bad, it is just unremarkable. Bitter lemon peel comes through as do floral qualities. I bet zythos would pair well as a late hop addition with palisades as the bittering and 20 min flavor. 10, 5, 0 min additions could be zythos.

If we are talking about blends of hops, falconers flit is really much more interesting and flavorful.

Wobbegong said:
Your take is exactly what I feel about my All Zythos IPA. Just sampled the finished beer for the 1st time this weekend. I intended this to be a big IPA, with 8 oz. used in a 5.25 gallon batch. I had a 60 min addition, along with progressively larger additions at 15, 10, 5 and flame out, along with a 2 stage dry hop. The finished beer has little hop aroma and I totally agree with your tasting note, odd.

Not a fan of this blend, wouldn't use it again. Strangely enough, they smell amazing in the bag, but I get none of those aromas or flavors in the beer... IPA's are my main style of brew, and Im not feeling this one...

I'm glad I read this before brewing with them. I had a chance to smell some at the LHBS, and thought they smelled great.

I'm glad I read this before brewing with them. I had a chance to smell some at the LHBS, and thought they smelled great.

i had the same experience, great smell in the bag and a total dud in the bottle. i made the mistake of brewing a 10 gallon, all zythos, batch so i have all of this beer i don't want to drink. last weekend i had a homebrewing class here at my house for a group of parents from my daughter's preschool and one parent really loved the zythos so i'm going to give most if not all of it to them.

eastoak said:
i had the same experience, great smell in the bag and a total dud in the bottle. i made the mistake of brewing a 10 gallon, all zythos, batch so i have all of this beer i don't want to drink. last weekend i had a homebrewing class here at my house for a group of parents from my daughter's preschool and one parent really loved the zythos so i'm going to give most if not all of it to them.

I had 4oz of nitrogen flushed zythos. After I read that post I brought them back to my LHBS with the intent of just giving the hops to them. They actually just let me swap them out for whatever I wanted. So I got 4oz of Amarillo :)

Amarillo is a good trade, but I would have given it a go for myself. Personally, I think Zythos has the potential to pair well with several other citrus hops. On it's own, it's no Amarillo or Centennial, or even Falconer's Flight, but it's far from being one of my least favorites.

Did an all late addition IPA as well. I get peach, pear, mango and maybe apple. No pineapple or pine for me. It needs a dank hop to go with it. Belgian IPA would be a good one to use this for though, maybe a nice summer wheat also.

Back